Word - I want the index after the endnotes

liveinhope

Using word 2007. I have a document where I have both endnotes and an index.
There are 2 options for position of endnotes - end of section and end of document . I want end of document (end f section doesn't work very well because a "chapter" on a given topic may have multiple sections if I need to make a summary page landscape orientation)

Problem is "end of document" puts the endnotes after the index which looks strange.

I have tried to get around this by doing the endnotes first , then positioning the cursor after the endnotes before creating the index .But when I do that "insert index" is greyed out .
If I put the cursor back before the endnotes insert index is available again

Is there a way around this

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
First, after the last Section's contents, but before the endnotes begin, insert a new Section break. For example, if you have an 'Endnotes' heading, insert the Section break after that.

Next, change your endnote setup from 'End of document' to 'End of section'. Make sure the numbering is also set to 'continuous' rather than 're-start' for the whole document. To make these changes, you will need to access the footnotes/endnotes menu. In Word 2003 & earlier, that's done via Insert>Reference>Footnote. In Word 2007 & later, it's done via References>Footnotes. For the moment, this will cause all of your endnotes to relocate to the ends of their respective Sections.

Finally, select Sections before the last one (i.e. not including the Section with your 'Endnotes' heading), then use the Page Layout>Page Setup tools to access the 'Suppress endnotes' option and check it. In Word 2003 & earlier, that's done via File>Page Setup>Layout. In Word 2007 & later, it's done via Page Layout>Page Setup>Layout. Your endnotes should now appear back where they were before. Any content you now insert into the body of the document after the final Section break will appear after the endnotes.

For a demonstration, see: Inserting material after Endnotes

Last edited:
Upvote 0
thanks for that - my first attempt didn't work . not sure what I'm doing worng but I will try again tomorrow and give an update

Upvote 0
Thanks Macropod !

I have now updated my document - the last section is now a "dummy" section . All sections before the "dummy" section have been set to "supress endnotes" so the all the endnotes eventually end up in my "dummy" section which exists only for the purpose of displaying all the endnotes from the "real" sections. So long as I put any future new sections before the "dummy" section and keep supressing endnotes all will be good

and I have been able to enter my index after the "dummy"/endnotes section

I would never have found out how to do this by myself .. it's that well hidden and not mentioned in the manuals I have referred to

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back