New Forum Features July 31 2017

Also, seems that after you reply to a thread, that thread "disappears" from the list now - it used to show up at (or near) the top of the list of "new" threads when you updated? Or is that some setting I need to adjust?

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Yeah, it looks like, this being a new system, all previous Likes were lost (2099 of them for me).

I was well pleased when I managed to get over 100 - No worries though Rick, I have given you your first Like on new system so you are up and running.

Dave

Thanks Bill for the addition of a Like system that works properly (and for the addition of Thanks as well)!
One thing odd that I noticed about the new Like/Thank system... the totals for them are not displayed anywhere on our profile pages... the only way you can see your totals is by finding one of your posted messages in any thread you participated in and look at it there in the summary (it is a drop down) beneath your photo/avatar. Seems strange that it is not reported in the statistics section of your profile page.

And another difference of the new like system is that the old system showed the names of the people who liked a post in the post, the new system just shows a count.

And another difference of the new like system is that the old system showed the names of the people who liked a post in the post, the new system just shows a count.

Looks like you have to go to your profile on the Posts likes/thanks page to see who gave you the thanks/like.

Also, seems that after you reply to a thread, that thread "disappears" from the list now - it used to show up at (or near) the top of the list of "new" threads when you updated? Or is that some setting I need to adjust?

Same thing for me.

Not sure if I have fully understood the intentions of the new rating system but Just some thoughts of an old chap that makes a vain attempt to assist others here but I really wonder about the wisdom of introducing a Dislike option on the Forum? After all, the whole point of being here is to help those who ask for assistance & the voluntary nature of the board means that you will get contributors of all abilities attempting to offer a solution.

Disliking something can be very emotive & It would be wrong in my view, for an OP to have the ability to dislike any solution offered particularly by a less able Excel enthusiasts when compared against one provided by the more expert here.

To give dislikes to solutions that do not meet the OPs need would very unkind as surely out of common courtesy, OPs should be grateful to all those who freely make an effort the help them even when help offered does not resolve the problem? The only alternative option to giving a Like should be to say thank-you?

If this is how new system is to work? Then Disliking solutions may in future, discourage some from attempting to provide assistance

I just wonder what others here think of the inclusion of the Dislike option?

Dave

I agree that the "dislike" feature might not be a good option to have. If you dont like it, just move on.

Still not seeing threads I have just responded to though :(

I'm also not sure of the value of the Dislike option. I can't think of a case when I would want to use it. It may be part of the whole thank/like/dislike structure and can't be separated.

But I did find one related setting. If you click on Settings in the top right of this web page, then go the the bottom of the "My Settings" panel on the left of the page, click on DBTech - Post Thanks/Settings, then next to Dislikes you can disable the postbit settings for Dislikes. This basically means that if someone clicks on the down arrow in your ID at the left of a post, the dislike information is not shown. (Try it on mine.)

Not exactly what you asked for, but something.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alrossman

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back