New Forum Features July 31 2017

Interesting. This thread showed up (probably) because the last poster wasn't me (it was Eric). But, after I read the last post and clicked on Search New Threads, it disappeared again - it used to just show up as "dimmed"

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
I'm also not sure of the value of the Dislike option. I can't think of a case when I would want to use it. It may be part of the whole thank/like/dislike structure and can't be separated.

But I did find one related setting. If you click on Settings in the top right of this web page, then go the the bottom of the "My Settings" panel on the left of the page, click on DBTech - Post Thanks/Settings, then next to Dislikes you can disable the postbit settings for Dislikes. This basically means that if someone clicks on the down arrow in your ID at the left of a post, the dislike information is not shown. (Try it on mine.)

Not exactly what you asked for, but something.

Hi Eric,
I was just raising the point that people come to this forum for help & Forum users of all abilities can step-in offer a solution.

What happens in situation when a less experienced Excel user attempts to provide OP with a solution but does not really work or perhaps is a little messy in its approach - You then have an expert user step in & resolve.

My point is if the OP then Dislikes the first offering because they did not use the suggestion that to me would be very unkind as all they were trying to do was to help (which is what this forum is about) & at very least, would expect out of common courtesy, a thank-you from the OP.

Personally, on a forum such as this, I cannot see the reason to dislike anything posted where the intention is to try & help someone.

Thank-you for guidance on settings, I will take a look at that.

Dave

I'm in agreement with Dave about the dislike option, although I do find it somewhat amusing when the OP Thanks, likes & dislikes a post all at the same time.

I'd like to echo concerns of loading-speed/performance of the forums since the update. It seems each day it is getting progressively worse. I have cleared my cookies and temp files; have tried different browsers and different devices, but the issue is still there. It is currently taking upwards of a minute to load/refresh a page, which I'm sure isn't very appealing to those who are coming here for the first time. Is it possible to roll-back the changes with the vbOptimize that was implemented, or are the forum admin(s) actively working on a fix?

Cheers!

I'd like to echo concerns of loading-speed/performance of the forums since the update. It seems each day it is getting progressively worse. I have cleared my cookies and temp files; have tried different browsers and different devices, but the issue is still there. It is currently taking upwards of a minute to load/refresh a page, which I'm sure isn't very appealing to those who are coming here for the first time. Is it possible to roll-back the changes with the vbOptimize that was implemented, or are the forum admin(s) actively working on a fix?

Cheers!

I'd like to retract this. Did another clear of cookies/temp files, and the forums are running significantly smoother. If anyone else is experiencing performance issues on the forums, clear your browser's cache and cookies (I used CCleaner).

Personally, on a forum such as this, I cannot see the reason to dislike anything posted where the intention is to try & help someone.

Because the board has the usual fewer posts on the weekend I have just been reading the new stats produced and notice currently that the poster with the 2nd most likes also has the 2nd most dislikes which I believe demonstrates one of the issues.

This is a poster who normally only answers questions and so I am a bit concerned how this could put some responders off (I have never been a fan of dislikes/bad reputation/thumbs down etc. on other sites btw) and so I do fall into the camp of hoping this button can be removed.

Last edited:
Thanks for support - Hopefully, board will heed what is being said & remove the feature.

A better option would be the inclusion of OPs having ability to mark a thread as closed or resolved.

Dave

Because the board has the usual fewer posts on the weekend I have just been reading the new stats...
Thanks for mentioning this as I did not realize there was a summary of stats to even be looked at... your comment prompted me to go looking and I found what you were referring to.

...and notice currently that the poster with the 2nd most likes also has the 2nd most dislikes which I believe demonstrates one of the issues.
Actually, I think the person with the most Dislikes (at the time I worte this) demonstrates the problem more... he/she disliked the poster's original message that started the thread! And then went on to dislike two more posts within that same thread.

...and so I do fall into the camp of hoping this button can be removed.
Me too! And I think removing the option should be doable as I noticed when the Thank/Like system was being activated, the Dislike link was the last to become activated, so it seems there must be a setting somewhere that the administrators can uncheck in order to remove this "feature".

Last edited:
Has anyone else noticed that, after responding to a thread, that thread is no longer visible after updating with "Search New Threads"? It only re-appears (for me), if another member responds after me.

It used to be, that threads I responded to, after updating the list, would show up with a check showing I responded (at some time), but the thread title would show up grey, indicating no new posts had been made since mine

Has anyone else noticed that, after responding to a thread, that thread is no longer visible after updating with "Search New Threads"? It only re-appears (for me), if another member responds after me.

It used to be, that threads I responded to, after updating the list, would show up with a check showing I responded (at some time), but the thread title would show up grey, indicating no

I have the same problem.

A better option would be the inclusion of OPs having ability to mark a thread as closed or resolved.

I would also like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back