New Forum Features July 31 2017

I've noticed that too. I think the wording on the button should be something like: "Show all the threads I'm not current on", and the fact that you are the most recent poster in that thread tells the board that you're current on it. I've seen something similar on other boards. It seems to make more sense when there are fewer threads, and the software assumes you want to read every thread, which is pretty much impossible here. I prefer the old way as well, but I can live with the new way too.

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Thanks for support - Hopefully, board will heed what is being said & remove the feature.
I think an administrator has been reading this thread... I do not see the Dislike option as being available any more.

Dislikes seem to have gone:)

I think an administrator has been reading this thread... I do not see the Dislike option as being available any more.

Hi Rick,

I too have just noticed the change & really great someone has taken notice.

What would be really nice in it's place if an option for OPs to mark a thread resolved / closed.

Dave

Yes - I removed the Dislike flag. I want to say it was a stupid feature to begin with. The new system does allow for any custom text, so we can have things other than Like and Thank, and they can all be positive. Any suggestions are welcome.

I am going to try to figure out where the old Likes were stored and see if I can get those back.

Perhaps misguided: I should not have asked the company to install five mods on the same day, because when the forum slows down, it is tough to figure out what the offending mod is.

The biggest change here was the installation of vbOptimise. This required an upgrade to FreeBSD 10.4 and the installation of Redis caching and Redis php extensions. The caching system might be the problem in threads not getting marked as read.

I am diving in to their forums to try to chase down issues. If you see anything else, let me know.

Bill

Yes - I removed the Dislike flag. I want to say it was a stupid feature to begin with. The new system does allow for any custom text, so we can have things other than Like and Thank, and they can all be positive. Any suggestions are welcome.
First, thank you for being so responsive... we all appreciate it.

One thing I find odd is the wording for thanking a post...

"Thank for this post"

seems (to me) to be awkward working. The singular form of the word "Thank" just seems wrong somehow. Maybe...

"Thanks for this post"

or even...

"Thank you for posting this"

or some other such wording. Also is it possible to add some spaces between the count box for the "Thanks" and the "thumbs up" icon belonging to the "Like" hyperlink text so there is a visible separation between them? I think that would look a little better.

Bill

prompt action to change this very much appreciated.

Is it possible to add an option for OP the mark their post as "Resolved"?

Dave

Reactions: GTO
I'd echo Rick's sentiments - we appreciate the responsiveness, and I think the changes are a nice improvement.

Getting the likes back would be nice, but not essential I think. I lost a fair amount (but not as many as Rick! :) ). But the paradigm for generating likes has changed, so the counts aren't directly comparable. I think Rick actually has some data on Like frequency, so many Likes per 100 posts. Might be interesting to revisit that in a few months.

Also, like Rick, I find the wording on "Thank for this post" to be a little awkward. But then again, I still have issues with using "Like" as an imperative. I think that's the intention with the current wording, using "Thank" as an imperative. Still, I'd prefer "Thanks for this post" or even just "Thanks".

As far as suggestions for other "Like"-like buttons, maybe "Hall of Fame Worthy" that someone can click for really clever formulas, or useful macros. But I suspect that it would get clicked excessively by people who just want to say thanks, but don't have a big enough background to recognize something special.

dmt32's idea is also nice.

Last edited:
As already mentioned, prompt responses to comments made here is greatly appreciated :)

Regarding not being able to see threads you have just posted on (until another member also posts), wile there are work-arounds for this, it does sometimes happen that a short while after posting, you think of something else to add, or another/better way to do what you already suggested, it would then be nice to be able to see that thread in the list

I'd like to see the notification area group the Quotes, Thanks and Likes together as 1 notification.
Instead it's 2 notifications, 1 for Quotes and 1 for Thanks or likes.
It would be better if just a single click on the notification dropdown takes you to your stats and clears the notifications for Quotes Thanks and Likes.
Or maybe keep them as separate notifications, but upon clicking the notification you go to your stats, then as you browse the different tabs it clears the notifcations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benefuexx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back