What is the best way to learn excel for freelancing?

imonboss

Excel is a huge program to master within a limited time frame. Its nearly impossible to acquire that much knowledge when you are starting from Level 0. I see lots of people in fiverr and Upwork offering their services as an expert. Well, I believe they have mastered some specific part of excel and capitalising on that. In order to be an excel freelancer which parts of excel I should really take into consideration. Looking forward to your awesome responses.

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
This question would be more appropriate for the "Lounge" forum. A moderator should be by soon to transfer it over.

My advice. Identify a process that can probably be more efficiently done with Excel functions and learn how to efficiently build that workbook. Wash, rinse, repeat. Once you have developed a proficiency with the Worksheet tools; consider moving on to VBA.

I'm personally starting to move on to programming Excel via Python and JavaScript.

In order to be an excel freelancer which parts of excel I should really take into consideration.
As you said it is a "huge" program. If starting at ground zero, it will probably be tough to be a "General" freelancer, you probably want to pick some aspect or job field to specialize in.

That being said, you are probably going to need to at least know things like how to use most of the common functions, Pivot Tables, and some VBA (maybe Forms too).
It is not going to be a quick thing, it will probably take at least a few years to gain enough knowledge.

Forums like these are great places for someone with those aspirations. You can learn a lot by reading the questions and answers posted on here. Eventually, you should find yourself being able to answer a lot of the questions on here, increasing in complexity.

I use Vba in my work. I write industrial PLC software for various PLC types and found that learning vba could help me create much more high value, consistent work. I therefore looked only at the tools I needed, such as reading and writing text files, creating test sheets and pdfs and even create sequential function charts, drive logic with interlocks and permissives and other logic, all in excel/vba. The code probably isn't the most efficient but it is the end product that is the goal for me.

I've been doing it for several years new and every project has something different. Most of the time it is only really on big projects that vba comes into its own as I still take a bit of time to get the scripts right. Last project was 280 motors this one is 180. I do all the programming for them. It can save weeks of otherwise manual programming.

Learn what you need to learn and don't try to take on too much. I know nothing of probably 80% (probably more) of what excel can do but the stuff I do know I know well.

Edited to say this site is an excellent source of information and has helped my greatly over the years.

Last edited:
In order to be an excel freelancer which parts of excel I should really take into consideration.
Maybe the parts you enjoy the most. There can be few better ways to improve than answering questions on this forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back