Blinking Christmas Tree...

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Hey Rick, seriously, how about a Menorah for us yids.

The user could enter the date of the first night and then the Shamash could light and then sequentially light the number of candles for the corresponding night. With perhaps some sort of (crude) effect of a flickering flame and the candles slowly descend for 3-4-5 hours and then go out.

I am half kidding and half serious, it would be out of my breadth of knowledge of VBA but kind of cool if you could pull it off.

Either way, have a nice Holiday Season!

Regards,

igold

Hey Rick, seriously, how about a Menorah for us yids.

The user could enter the date of the first night and then the Shamash could light and then sequentially light the number of candles for the corresponding night. With perhaps some sort of (crude) effect of a flickering flame and the candles slowly descend for 3-4-5 hours and then go out.
You would really want to leave Excel tied up doing nothing but burning candles down for 3 to 5 hours? The reason I figured the blinking Christmas tree would work for our Christian friends out there is because you could see it doing something immediately and could be left running when the user was not actually using Excel, kind of an off-duty (lunch time perhaps) "screen saver" of sorts. A Menorah slowly burning down, even with flickering flames, would not be as visually attracting as the blinking Christmas tree. With that said, I'll think about how to do what you asked and see if I can come up with something simple to do.

I see your point, but when I was picturing it I was thinking more of dinner time when I eat in front of the TV in my office and my monitors are within view. It was just a passing thought, and when I thought more about it, it got me wondering how I would go about it if I were really going to take a shot at it.

I know you are very busy, I just threw it out there anyway.

So, I tried my menorah out on another computer, and it seems that, while the flickering flames looked good on my slow home laptop, they were unnaturally fast on a 'normal' computer. So, I added a scrollbar to the left of the menorah that can be used to speed up or slow down the flames. I also noticed that not everything lines up properly depending upon the display used so the size of the clipart menorah will have to be adjusted to look good on your display. I also added a black background which I think looks better than the white one.

Please let me know if you see any other issues.

CJ

Updated file

Last edited:
@Cj

That is actually a pretty good effort. The "Flame Action" is very cool. On my display, I had to widen the Menorah a drop to get the flames above the candle wicks.

Good Job. Thanks for sharing!

Happy Holidays!

igold

Thanks igold. I wish I could have solved the alignment issue but Excel has a mind of it's own when it comes to clip art.

@CJ , I am impressed. Wow!
I just can't believe my eyes!

I just don't know why the LED display didn't work for me. LOL

It has been a while though
Kelly

Thanks Kelly.

Whenever you want to tackle that LED display again...let me know :)

CJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back