Is someone messin' with me?

NdNoviceHlp

This is the third time this has happened to me. I get a warning message that this site (Mr Excel.com) is not secure and my browser will not let me access it. I give it some time, days even when it initially happened, same result. I trial different browsers with the same result. I can access every other site on the internet. I run my system mechanic and spyware programs and still no access. I trial all my other pc's in the house with the same result...the site is not secure. I go to my friend's house and there's nothing wrong with the site, I can access the site as per usual. I live in the country and have a wireless internet provider with a dish on my roof. I unplug my ISP modem and plug it back in and surprise, I can again access this site as per usual. Is this some kind of spyware? Why is the only fix to physically disconnect from the internet? Why only this site that I frequent? If I was drawn to paranoia, I would suggest that someone somehow related to this site has had enough of my inane postings and has resolved to put an end to them :) Anyways, I thought I would post this vexing situation and see if anyone has any insights. Dave

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
what you haven't said is what browser and antivirus software you are using. I'm guessing there will be an option in your software to add the site to a white list, and you enter via a clean link and not from a hosted link somewhere

I've tried the MS internet explorer, MS edge and Mozilla browsers. The Malwarebytes, Adaware and System mechanic don't do anything for me. The pc I'm using now has Windows 10. The others (5), have various OS. Again, when this happens all pc's in my home are affected at the same time? I truly appreciate your assistance, I'm getting tired of manually unplugging my modem. Dave

so five PCs, sounds like a wifi router issue if all affected similarly.

Not because of problems, but I ditched all the antivirus in favour of just using the windows defender from MS, reducing software conflicts

The windows defender is what is currently in use. If it the wifi router, why only this site? Again, thanks for your help. I'll rule U out of my possible list of suspects :) Dave

A while back MrExcel upgraded from http to https for enhanced protection

We had not gotten any similar reports (and we have thousands of users), so my guess is that it is probably something on your side.

Thanks Joe4 for your reply and that information. I agree with your assessment. I didn't mean to innuendo that somehow this site is responsible. I thought that I would just put this out there for you folks with a lot more expertise than myself in case there was something obvious or obscure that I was missing. Dave.

Last edited:
No worries.

Wit the number of users on this site, usually if there is a problem, we get LOTS of reports about it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back