It was twenty years ago today...

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
On November 21, 1998 I posted the first answer at MrExcel.com. A simple little formula of =A2-DAY(A2)+1 got this whole thing started.

It is amazing that the community here has posted over 1 million threads in twenty years. We have a great knowledge base about Excel here and I love that I've had the opportunity to meet some of you in real life. To mark the 20 year anniversary, I have some free swag available: Read offer number three at this page for more details.

For those of you who have posted here over the years, my sincere thanks for being a part of the community.

For those with over 500 posts here, check your spam or promo folders over the next couple of hours for an email with a subject line of "Your User ID - Thanks for being part of the MrExcel community" from Bill Jelen.

Sincerely,
Bill Jelen

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Thanks Bill I received your E-mail and appreciate your Offer. I'm no Excel expert but I'm still able to give some help to users here at Mr. Excel. I'm friends with you on FB and I love NASA and all the space photos you share
on FB and: We Report Space
. I have followed nearly every launch since the Mercury days. I now live in Central Florida and can see many launches from my front yard even thou I'm about 100 miles South West of the Cape.

Take care and wishing you a nice Thanksgiving and coming Holiday Season.

Hi Bill,

Congratulations on your anniversary. Amazing achievement to have kept this community going for such a long time.

I don't post much any more but I look back very fondly on the time when I was more active and can only give great thanks for everything I learnt from all the big brains here.

Best wishes,

Domski

Bill,

Thanks so much for this amazing resource. I have gotten dozens of answers that I would never have figured out on my own. You have saved me hours of work and hundreds of screwups.

My best to you.

Happy Thanksgiving.

-jm

Last edited:
Excel really started to click when I joined this site.

Your email has a date error though - you posted your first answer today?

Hi Bill

Not many communities in the net last for 20 years.
Best wishes for the next 20 years.

For those with over 500 posts here, check your spam or promo folders over the next couple of hours for an email with a subject line of "Your User ID - Thanks for being part of the MrExcel community" from Bill Jelen.
Just over the line. But so far no email.

Thank you, Bill, for creating and fostering a thriving community of like-minded persons willing to help each other.

A fantastic website that has survived for a number of reasons !!
1. Great content and knowledgeable contributors
2. A set of standards that haven't changed
3. moderators that can, and do !

In the time I have been involved with Mr Excel, I have always receive unrivalled support from other posters, whether they be MVP's or newbies !
The mods have kept us all in line and on track and made sure that, to the best of their ability, rubbish and spam is eliminated ASAP.

Congratulations to all involved.....keep up the great work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmjmjmjmjmjm

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back