Communication methods

TinaP

Greetings Excellers!

I'm currently working on a workbook with lots of UDFs and other volatile functions. Trust me, I've done my research and the UDF/volatile function mode is the preferred method in this instance. (The key phrase is "in this instance.") I also have other workbooks where macros/recalculations take extended periods. Recalcs take exponentially longer if more than one workbook is open. And occasionally I turn off automatic calculation which I know can cause all kinds of headaches that I should warn users about.

My question to all of you is: How do you communicate this information to users? I have tried inserting a "Read Me" sheet in workbooks but it never gets read. If the workbook already has macros I've inserted messages when the workbook is opened. How do you handle this?

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
I create a "front page" for my user workbooks. It includes stats for the data, instructions, known bugs, as well as noted comments so they click the correct things. Generally format it in a way that is appealing to look at and organized. That way the user is more inclined not to skip the important stuff.

if you wanted to be a stickler you could create a password that someone can only know if they read your readme

You have a little evil streak, don't you? I think we will get along just fine. :devilish:

I ABSOLUTELY am evil. its a necessity to be evil to your end users. Otherwise they break everything. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slaytonpa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back