Top 10 Excel applications

francescoG

I'm researching the Top 10 business applications deployed using Excel/VBA across all industries. If you have a moment, please submit your Top 10 based on your own personal programming experience.

Regards,

Francesco

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
I'd put amployee time sheets near the top. Almost everywhere I've worked has used Excel for time recording.

A couple of ideas off the top of my head:

ad-hoc/customized reporting
financial forecasting
trend analysis
charts
survey deployment/results aggregation
matching/merging data sets (that are small enough where you don't need Access or SAS)

Here's a few thing I use VBA for.

HR process automation
Hourly Merit
Salaried Merit
Quarterly Bonus
Bench Tracking

HTH
Cal

If you're really, really sweet to Miss Tracy (aka starl) in a PM she might give you some feedback on the most frequently-appearing kinds of projects Mr. Excel's consulting gurus get called in for. I would think that Tracy would have one of the best views of anyone anywhere as far as where Excel gets applied.

aw, Greg, how sweet.
but to tell you the truth - I'm seeing a lot listed here.... can't think of anything new to add

Kind of a different interpretation of your question -- it's not really an "application" per se. But I would have to say that Excel's most common usage is as a "generic list exchange" application. You can take any old list of whatevers -- part numbers, model numbers, invoice numbers, PO numbers, Airwaybill numbers -- and e-mail to vendors, customers, whomever and they can open it and use it; i.e. dump it into their system and/or run a query of some type -- Qty On-Hand, List Prices, Invoices Open, PO ETA's, Tracking Info; and then return it to you with the data you were needed appended to it. That's probably how most of my co-workers use Excel. Only folks that get beyond the novice stage use it to "develop an application" or to crank meaningful analyses.<hr />

Hiya, Miss Tracy! :biggrin:

producing + storing, invoices
comparing telephonerates (50 calls to here, 20 to there, 3 minutes each, afternoon)
stockmanagement

I've had clients show up with letters in Excel.. certain areas linked to ranges..
we end up moving those to Word tho.

I've had clients show up with letters in Excel...
-starl

:LOL: Were they preparing their financials using tables in Word? :LOL:

<hr />

Back to the topic at hand (so as not to worry Erik :biggrin:) -- I'm starting to play with its XML stuff a bit. While not a mainstream usage of it today, I would think that in the future that might be an area where Excel will get used more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jocksteriom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back