How Much $$ Do Excel / VBA Programmers Make??

Pallyjo

Does anyone have a real answer?

Serious question. I think I may be grossly underestimating my salary...

Any qualified ideas? Actual NUMBERS?? It seems so taboo to talk about for some reason-- people become vague and cryptic everytime I ask-- as if no one really knows. I can't get a straight answer!

Help! Please!

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
I gave you a real answer. What more do you want? A real number? Then take what you make as a consultant in a month's time, multiply it by 12 and add 15%. This will give you a real number.

I don't know what more to tell you...

And I think your response to my original thoughtful response was very rude.

Anyway, you will also need to take into consideration:

1. Year's experience
2. Education
3. Market value
4. Location

Most people don't get hired into a company witht he title "Excel programmer". It's usually a data analyst, or a financial analyst position where these skills come into play. Do you have knowledge of these disciplines?
HTH!

Hey Champion,

Relax, buddy. I wasn't talking about you singularly. I appreciate your response, but you didn't answer my question. I'm asking: HOW MUCH DO VBA PROGRAMMERS MAKE? I'm not asking how I should increase what I'm making now. I'm not out in the world looking for work, trying to pitch myself-- I'm being approached. Just so you know: people do, in fact, get hired as Excel/VBA Programmers-- whether as consultants or on staff as analysts or other similar titles. I am one currently. So are all the other chaps in the room with me. I would ask them, but it's a dangerous question in the midst of peers, believe me.

Thanks for your idea, but your formula doesn't really make any sense to me. For example: if I'm making $12/hr and I apply your formula, and the majority of people in the US doing the exact same job are making let's say-- around $100/hr, then I'm seriously underestimating my skill set, right? This is why I'm writing.

I appreciate your willingness to help, Champ, but I don't think you're the guy/gal to answer this question.

Anyone else, please? Generically speaking: What are Excel / VBA Programmers making nowadays?

Just as PaddyD and ExcelChampion have suggested, the amount really depends on a lot of factors. How about how much do doctors's make, or teacher's? It is different depending on all the factors like education, location, demand, experience, etc. There is probably more of a market/demand for you in a larger city that has a lot of financial, high tech, or IT jobs, as compared to some small rural area.

I currently live in a small city. I used to live in Washington, DC, pretty much doing the same job I am doing now. However, I was making 25% more there in DC than I am here. However, the cost of living is considerably lower here than it was in DC.

So unfortunately, I don't think you are going to get a satisfactory answer, because there is no one universal answer. Other than asking peers, the best way to find out is to scope out similar jobs in your area, and see what they are offering to pay.

What type of VBA are you talking here?

Excel/Access/Word/Powerpoint/Visio?

What exactly are you doing with it?

I remember working alongside a guy (BA - business analyst, though I can think of other
answers for that acronym) who earned £500 a day.

He had a spreadsheet, some code and all day to drink coffee, because that was how
long it took to run the long, badly written VBA code he had created.

When he, mysteriously, left I took over his part of the project, imported the data into Access,
created a few queries and voila the same results in seconds.

No VBA neccessary.

PS My title at the time was Excel Administrator and I was on the princely sum of £7.50 ph.

Pallyjo,
I'm not your buddy but I am trying to help you...

I didn't mean to suggest that NO positions are available with Excel as the principle discipline, I was merely suggesting that you may have better luck using your skills in some sort of analyst position (not to mention you learn the processes that your clients use because you're doing them yourself).

Why don't you tell us what your education level is, what your year's of experience are, and where you reside...this way people can give you a more educated *guess* at what you're skills are worth. If you want a range, I would say $40K ~ $$80k on the average.

However, I did see a posting for an Excel Programmer that was needed in Baghdad, Iraq a couple of years ago. It paid $80K for a six month stint. You had to know how to carry and use a firearm and were required to carry one at all times. Police and or military training was a bonus.

If you want a specific answer to your question then you need to be less vague in asking your question. It's all about the details...

Yikes! Guys! Sheesh...
I appreciate the resopnses. I really do. But this is taking the question a bit to the extreme. I guess that's what happens when you ask a bunch of programmers a question-- they look at it from every possible angle :)

I guess I have the best possible answer I can receive here, so thank you. Can't help wondering if I asked any of you the average cost of a gallon of milk in the US, if any of you could offer an answer! "Indiana will be different from California... Depends on the current market... I once knew a guy who bought a gallon of milk for $40 up in a mountain village..." I'm just teasing you guys, but this warrants teasing in my opinion. I know we sit in small rooms and stare intently at computer screens all day, but loosen up a bit! :)

Thanks sincerely for your help and thoughtfulness.

Hey Excel "Champion": When you see my name on a blog, kindly go the other direction.

(BA - business analyst, though I can think of other
answers for that acronym)

Hey, I'm a Business Analyst!!!

I think I'm going to start telling everyone your a girl. :biggrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back