I got laid off yesterday

QuietRiot

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
It was someone of an awful feeling for me. It was my first real job into the "real world" after graduating college. I've been there only 4 months now but, really liked what I did and enjoyed going to work. All the layoffs were due to a merger, I thought I would be safe because one of my jobs involved a lot of testing on system they were still going to use but it didn't turn out that way. I guess no-ones safe in the financial industry. I mostly feel bad for all the other employees who had been there so much longer.

anyway, that job required me to do a ton of data validation and other projects that required me to use VBA pretty much everyday. They even paid for a class I took and everything. It was at this job I truly found how awesome (and how much I enjoy) working with excel.

Hopefully, I find something I'm interested in.

< end rant

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Bugger, and best of luck.

I can only echo Paddy's words

I'm sure you'll find something sooner rather than later :biggrin:

And ditto again.

In a previous life I was employed as a Cisco Engineer for 6 years and then got made redundant.

It was while working there that I also found a love for Excel and am now happily employed as a VBA Developer.

Best of Luck

DP

I'm sorry to hear that Quiet - I know it probably doesn't feel like it at the moment, but you will find something else. Thankfully what you've learned re VBA and Excel is a highly useful skill to a potential employer - so good luck!

My own job/workplace is suffering a long and drawn out death as we were taken over by a much bigger player last year - I doubt I will have a job at the end of next calendar year...

That’s harsh, but to put a positive spin on it, my previous job required/inspired me to get to grips with more advanced Excel usage (granted it was just in terms of formulas back then) and then the redundancy smacked me in the face about a year ago. I thought that would be the end of my freedom to roam the immortal spreadsheet. However, I then moved into my current position which has allowed me to run wild with Excel in all aspects and (along with MrExcel of course) has given me the chance to really learn the good stuff.

The moral of the story? Something better will always come along no matter how bleak it may seem.

Good luck with finding something new!! :) :)

I got made redundant back in Feb, previous employer promised me the world in my initial interview, but failed to deliver, then made me redundant for the lack of skills they promised to train me on

It took me 3 days to find another job, I was rather annoyed as I’d left my first job after being there for 7.5 years, for something which sounded brilliant, a year later I was redundant

I am happy where I am now (only the 3rd company I’ve worked for) - well I say that, but I’m looking around at other opportunities

Excel is a great skill to have, more so as MS Excel is a common business tool used in some shape or form in most companies

You're obviously not daft fella, you'll find something easy enough and chances are it'll be better than the last one as well.

Good luck!!!

Dom

Bummer. But, it's an opportunity. I was laid off 10 years ago and that's the view I took at the time. I followed my interests -- first training, and then consulting in Access and Excel. If you know your stuff, there's definitely work out there.

Best of luck finding something soon!

Denis

The first time I got "Canned" it was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nickdozaj

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back