Why MrExcel is like Hitch Hiking

xlHammer

Board Regular
Consider the hitch hiker, essentially car-less and potless but in need of getting from A to B. So what does he do? (could a she as well obviously) He puts his faith in humanity and his thumb out in the hope that a charitable and car-owning person will see him and give him a lift.

Now fast forward a few years, Hitch has graduated college, got a job and a home and possibly a family, but crucially he now has a car to call his own. He's heading off on a trip and as he's approaching the motorway junction when he's sees a youngster with his thumb out hoping for a lift.

Hitch is reminded of his own youth and how grateful he was to those who picked him up. 'I can't pay those people back,' he thinks 'but I can pass the favour on.' He pulls over and Hitch2 gets in.

Ok so far? My theory is that this is a parallel with how MrExcel works. The 'hitcher' lacking in excel expertise (a car) puts out their thumb (posts a thread) in the hope that a charitable car-owner (excel geek) will give them a lift (answer their post). Time passes and the newbie acquires their own car (becomes proficient in excel) and begins to give lifts to new hitchers (answer posts) themselves. Hitch may never be able to pay back those who gave him a lift, but he can demonstrate his gratitude by passing on the favour. That is my theory and that is why MrExcel is like hitch hiking.

Discuss.

Rob

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
I think it's a good analogy - as you will also get posters on here who say the equivalent of "I can't take you the whole way, but I can take you as far as the Basingstoke roundabout".

Probably safer though ;)

I'd probably stay where I was rather than get dropped off at Basingstoke, but I take your point. ;)

If somebody asked you for a lift, got a lift from you, sat next to you in silence and jumped out of the car without saying thanks, that would be exactly like SOME experiences on ME :)

If somebody in England said "Can you give me a lift to Birmingham", and you offered them a lift to Birmingham, England, and when they'd got in the car they said, "Oh, I meant Birmingham, Alabama. No, not Birmingham Alabama, I meand San Francisco. And I want to bring my 8 friends along. And we need to go via Paris. And we really need to go by train," that would be like SOME experiences on ME :)

That was hallarious Gerald...Although I don't think ANYONE, even posters here, would be physically located in England and ask to hitch a rid to Birmingham Alabama...LOL.

Now what would be the MrExcel Equivelant of the Hitch Hiker who happens to be an axe murderer ? Thankfully, I don't think I've seen that Hitcher here yet...

Last edited:
Urmm...a hitcher who's trying to get advice on how to put a virus on an excel database to email to people?

Or when there are a number of hitch hikers all holding up signs showing where they want to go and amoungst them is one guy just holding a sign that says 'Need Lift, Very Urgent'. And every now and then he keeps pushing to the head of the queue.

And what is the MrExcel equivelant of that? A thread spammer would fit the cutting the line bit, but Im not sure about the rest...

Rob, I think the analogy may be breaking down here a little... because I wouldn't stop the car for someone who couldn't be bothered to say where he's going, but I do quite often take a look at those threads, because I am nosy ;)

(Although not the ones that bump, because I mainly do that in unanswered threads.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristineC

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back