Which reference style is best? R1C1 or A1?

Which reference style do you find better?

• A1

Votes: 29 90.6%
  • R1C1

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
R1C1 confuses me so I avoid it in the workbook. I like it in VBA, though, mostly because of the flexibility and the fact that I can record the formula.

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
since i use vba the most i go for r1c1, but not on sheets

Right, well almost everyone is for A1. So I see one other voted R1C1. Who was that? Bit of support here please! :biggrin:

Despite the responses I'm still going to wean myself off the A1 and get used to R1C1. I disagree with you Tony, R1C1 looks waaaaay cooler. :p

Statistically speaking, only sociopaths use R1C1 style in the main UI.
Right! :devilish:

It's better for seeing the 'identicality' of formulas, for sure.

I prefer to use partial references if I'm going to use R1C1 for creating formulas in VBA; much easier to have something always refer to (say) RC3, instead of RC[-2] which, after some rearranging of the worksheet, needs to be rewritten as RC[-5].

Denis

You have support:

Excel Best Practices for Business by Loren Abdulezer begins with chapter 1 and a big endorsement of R1C1 as the right way to go.
I wasn't convinced enough to switch, but I did figure out that switching on the fly to R1C1 was useful for validating formulas as you can tell at a glance if formulas are identical or not as you scan a column/row.

I think I agree with Biff - not cool! :ROFLMAO:

Definitely A1 all the way, though I do switch to R1C1 when I'm counting lots of columns for a VLOOKUP or OFFSET type formula.

I am only five years late on this thread, but also use R1C1 for everything. It is just so much more powerful and more intuitive - I mean it is a coordinate system after all. A1 is ok for small uncomplicated things, but if you have a lot of data columns and rows, R1C1 just shines. Firstly, the formulas never change in a column. It its just so much easier to debug complex spreadsheets. Secondly referring to column CF is totally counter intuitive, C84 if much more intuitive at face value. I also often use absolute references unless I specifically need to have a relative reference. This keeps formulas short and easy to read. I think it is simply a much, much better and more sustainable practice to use R1C1 all the way. I have been programming with Excel from pre VBA days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back