Excel Ranger

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Note: currently sipping a rather potent Bloody Mary...

Hi Gang,

Currently working from home as a telecommuter for a big US bank. My work laptop (HP EliteBook 840 G3 w/ docking station) allows for either 2 external monitors (w/ the laptop screen as a 3rd monitor) or 3 external monitors (w/o the laptop screen...closed-lid). Current setup is an issued Dell 20" monitor (@1440x900 rez) bookended by 2x personal ViewSonic 27" monitors (@1920x1080 rez) and the laptop lid closed. I have the desk space laterally to swap out the Dell 20" for either another ViewSonic 27" ($189 on Amazon) or even an LG 32" ($199 on Amazon) which is also 1920x1080. So my question is it it better to go with a 27/27/27 setup or a 27/32/27? Keep in mind that I'm not gaming (I've got a Spectre 32" curved monitor hooked up to my MacBook Pro for blowing up $hit). Mostly email, Lync IM chats, Live Meetings, PowerPoint slide deck prep, Excel stare-n-compare, etc. In other words, the usual office crapola.

Any thoughts?

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
I would prefer three of the same size, if you have worked with mismatched monitors, when you mouse from one to another they are not aligned across the screen, and occasionally you don't get the cursor where you want it

I also prefer the monitors be the same size.

at home I've got an LG 32" (awesome btw), a Hannspree 28" and an I-Inc 27". I'd much rather have 3 x 32". At work I have 3 x 28" Dells, and it's a much better setup with everything the same even though the overall real estate is a bit smaller.

I'm hearing that the curved monitors have a way to snap applications to certain areas of the screen similar to snapping excel to the top of one monitor and have it be maximized to that monitor. The one person I spoke to said he could configure how many psuedo monitors he wanted. I'm going to look into that the next time I'm upgrading. The curved screens pretty wide and no monitor split.

Jeff

Last edited:
I vote for the same size monitors as well. I have a two-monitor setup, one a 26" (real dimension) and the other a 32" (each with different native resolution)... I'm used to it now, but at the beginning I would always be sliding my mouse from the big monitor to the smaller one and "lose" the cursor. Why? Because it was stuck on the bottom in the area that does not map linearly to the smaller monitor. If you do go for the different sized monitors, you must remember to slide the mouse up before attempting to move it sideways between screens. It took a while to get used to having to do that, but it does eventually become habit (although every now and again I "forget" and go with the natural tendency to slide sideways only).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AtariBaby

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back