Issue with IIF

DEllis

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi everyone, I want to pull everything in a query criteria if only a year is selected on a report dashboard. So I select the year and I get nothing. If I select a month, then I get just those for the month. Can anyone tell me what is going on with my logic here.

IIf([FORMS]![Reporting Dashboard]![Month_Listbox] Is Not Null,[forms]![Reporting Dashboard]![Month_Listbox],'*')

So how I read this is if, the month list box is not null (something is selected) then give me the months for the year I selected; however, if it is null, give me all data for the year.

If I put the number 5 where the asterisk is, I get I do get the month. But what I want is everything if only the year is selected.

Help please.

Thank you,
DEllis

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
I read that as give me everything in the month column if the control is null (which is logical), as I presume you have put this in the month column of the query designer?
You should put similar logic in the year column.
That way if no month is selected you get all months, if no year is selected you get all years. If you select a month and a year you get only data only for that criteria.

Upvote 0
Hi Welshgasman, thank you for your response. You are correct in your assumption that I want everything from the month column. If I put in a number it pulls the month, what do I need to put in there to pull everything if a year is selected? The asterisk (*) is not working to pull in everything.

Thank you so much for responding, looking forward to your reply.

Take care,
DEllis

Upvote 0
Split the query data into month and year of the date from the field. Then query each individually.
So if you leave month empty on your form and put in a year, you get everything for that year.
I do not believe you can do this on one field alone.

Upvote 0
Hi Again, we do have the year and month in separate columns. The issue comes when we put a condition for the month. The everything Wildcard "*" is not working. Is there another way to pull in all months when only the year in the year column is selected? The "*" asterisk works alone when we put in the criteria field but not in the IIF statement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
DEllis,
My apologies, you are correct, it will not work as you have it.
However I recreated your scenario and
Code:
Like IIf([Forms]![Form1]![txtMonth] Is Not Null,[Forms]![Form1]![txtMonth],"*")
does work.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back