Building data for a report

psrs0810

I have created 8 tables that I need reference for building out another table called ReportBuilder. I am new to Access and need some guidance.
for building out the ReporBuilder Table, I want to reference the DeptXRef table and in the ExcludeDept field if it says Data Dependent, to copy the dept number in field AliasDept and put that into the ReportBuilder Table - Dept field

any help is greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
You typically do not use tables to create data for other tables for the purposes of Reports.
If you have data from multiple Tables that you need to get into a single Report, you typically use Queries to combine your data (and use the Query as the Data Source of your Report), or you might use SubReports.

Note that you can use Queries for the source of Reports, Forms, and Exports just as easily as you can Tables.

Upvote 0
oh boy! I have some learning to do.
I know what I need and I know the end result. it's a matter of getting there

Upvote 0
what is a good resource for understanding the connections?
Can you be more specific?
Are you talking about the connections in your database (i.e. relationships between your tables)?
Whoever designed the database would be the best person to ask that.

Upvote 0
I am doing this on my own. I need to understand the relationships between the tables and create other information of them

Upvote 0
They are whatever you make them, but there are rules/guidelines you want to follow when designing them.
I suggest doing some Google searches on "Database Design and Normalization". There are lots of good articles out there on it, some are even Access centric.
Here are a few to get you started:
http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=27226
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/283878/description-of-the-database-normalization-basics

It is really important to understand Relational Database theory, especially Rules of Normalization, when designing databases. If you design it correctly, it will give you the power to do almost anything you want. If you don't design it according to those rules, you risk creating yourself a ton of headaches, where even seemingly simple tasks become difficult! I know, I have been there and done that!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonilla0331

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back