Access - Write to an audit log

Pumpk1n

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a database called "Vendor" in which I need to track who has 'clicked' buttons to perform an event. The table is called "Audit Log" and I'm stuck on how to write the code to insert into a table. Here's what I have so far but I'm having issues on the "Insert" function. Can you help? I've "borrowed" the code and am not able to figure out how to troubleshoot. Thanks in advance!

Private Sub Command505_Click()
Dim strLocation As String
Dim db As DAO.Database
Dim sql As String
Set db = CurrentDb()
Me.Modified_by = Environ("USERNAME")
Me.Modified_on = Format(Now(), "yyyy-MM-dd hh:mm:ss")
sql = "Insert into AuditLog Values('" & Modified_by & "', '" & Modified_on & "', '" "NegativeBalance"');"
db.Execute sql
End Sub

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
close:

Code:
Dim sql As String

sql = "Insert into AuditLog Values('" & Modified_by & "', #" & Modified_on & "#, '" "NegativeBalance"');"
docmd.RunSql sql
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I received an error "Compile error: Method or data member not found" and the debugger is stopping on the line of code where user name is defined "ME.Modified_by..." I added the dim statement back in for the Modified_by as string, but that didn't resolve it.

close:

Code:
Dim sql As String

==>Me.Modified_by = Environ("USERNAME")
sql = "Insert into AuditLog Values('" & Modified_by & "', #" & Modified_on & "#, '" "NegativeBalance"');"
docmd.RunSql sql
End Sub

Upvote 0
Modified_on and Modified_by are supposed to be control names on your form, often bound to fields with the same names. You refer to these controls as object on the form with the syntax Me.TheControlName. If you borrowed the code, then maybe you didn't change the names properly.

I think what ranman did was just put the # marks around the date strings. You should also use Me.ControlName syntax there too, though:
insert into AuditLog Values('" & Me.Modified_by & "', #" & Me.Modified_on

Upvote 0
Ah, I see. That makes sense. My catch is that I don't have a form -- I am monitoring who is clicking a button which updates database. Can I write to an audit log without a form?
Modified_on and Modified_by are supposed to be control names on your form, often bound to fields with the same names. You refer to these controls as object on the form with the syntax Me.TheControlName. If you borrowed the code, then maybe you didn't change the names properly.

I think what ranman did was just put the # marks around the date strings. You should also use Me.ControlName syntax there too, though:
insert into AuditLog Values('" & Me.Modified_by & "', #" & Me.Modified_on

Upvote 0
Hi, where is the button if it is not on a form?

Upvote 0
Yeah, I had a navigation form with buttons for users to update a database and run reports and wasn't thinking that through. I added the fields to the form and put them behind a label and added the auditlog to the data properties on that form. the error message I get now is a run-time error '3346' "number of query values and destination fields are not the same.

SQL Code is now:
Dim sql As String
sql = "Insert into AuditLog Values('" & Me.Modified_by & "', '" & Me.Modified_on & "', '" & NegativeBalance & "');"
DoCmd.RunSQL sql
End Sub

Hi, where is the button if it is not on a form?

Upvote 0
If audit log has more columns and you aren't inserting values for all of the columns you need a column list:

Code:
Insert into AuditLog (Modified_by, Modified_on, NegativeBalance) 
values ('Kermit', #1/1/2017#, -100.00)

Upvote 0
If audit log has more columns and you aren't inserting values for all of the columns you need a column list:

Code:
Insert into AuditLog (Modified_by, Modified_on, NegativeBalance) 
values ('Kermit', #1/1/2017#, -100.00)

This errors out on the sql line.
Dim sql As String
sql = Insert into AuditLog (modified_by, Modified_on) Values('" & Me.Modified_by & "', '" & Me.Modified_on & "', '" & NegativeBalance & "');"

DoCmd.RunSQL sql
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi,
1) what is the error message.
2) display your sql using a print statement so we can see the actual sql

Code:
sql = Insert into AuditLog (modified_by, Modified_on) Values('" & Me.Modified_by & "', '" & Me.Modified_on & "', '" & NegativeBalance & "');"
[COLOR="#B22222"]Debug.Print sql[/COLOR]

Note that from what I can see you have two column names in your column list but three values in your value list so that's a syntax error. If you are inserting three values you must have three columns listed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back