How to learn MS Access

BizBoy

Board Regular
Hi,

I am new to MS Access. I know nothing about MS Access.
However I want to learn it. I have basic knowledge about (excel) VBA.

Thinking about joining weekend classes for the same.
Could you please advise me how should I proceed.

Location - India.

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
yes, classes, and get the Access for Dummies book. (good reference)
then the BEST is , build an app ,like a classroom with students/work, or a Business with shopping cart/inventory.
and start digging.
Working on a project is the best teacher.

Upvote 0
If I am correct. Working with VBA for excel is more object oriented. Where one needs to play with properties for objects.

In case of MS Access, focus is more on writing quires. Which might look simple at the outset but must be complex once dived further.

Both of my assumptions can be wrong and apology if my post is violating rules.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In case of MS Access, focus is more on writing quires. Which might look simple at the outset but must be complex once dived further.
Creating queries is just one aspect of Access (though a very powerful one).
VBA is also very big in Access, especially in looking to build applications. VBA is very commonly found with interactive Forms and other processes that you want to automate.

I think both Excel and Access are too big to put into a small, self-contained box like that. A lot of it depends on what you are trying to do, and both have the flexibility to cover quite a range of things.

Upvote 0
When starting out in Access, I believe it is very important to understand Table Structure(s) and design. Look at this white paper on design and you will be better equipped to build your own files.

http://r937.com/relational.html

Upvote 0
I think both Excel and Access are too big to put into a small, self-contained box like that.

Thanks for the help Joe. Sir, does this mean, as a developer I will be required to integrate MS Access and VBA. I guess, both these platforms compliment each other.
I am very limited when it comes to excel VBA. I think our Forum will help me to broaden my horizon.

Have a nice day ahead.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help Joe. Sir, does this mean, as a developer I will be required to integrate MS Access and VBA.
If your desire it to become a serious Access Developer, than I would say yes, you should know some Access VBA code.
It is used, not only for complex processes, but also in some fairly basic Form creation (i.e. default fields, data entry verification, dependent values, etc).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back