Do I use the Excel or the Access to do it?

Lottoguy

I analyze the past results of a lottery game and I ve seen this program on lottery websites
and other paid lottery statistics websites. But if I wanna do it at home, a lottery search numbers,
that I can save all the past results into a database and I can check how many matches my numbers
did on the past results. I heard I can do it on both the excel and the access, but as the access is
mainly a database program, I d like to learn how can I do in on the access.
If you can help me to do it with any of both programs, please let me know.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
IMHO, Access is the way to go. Excel is great for crunching numbers and making charts - not so much for making comparisons of this sort. If I were doing this, I'd have one table for each lottery since none of them play the same way. For each play, these tables would contain the lottery date at least, and anything else that you might want to relate to besides the numbers (lottery results) picked by the lottery. That might be where you bought the ticket, for example.

I'd also have one table per lottery for the numbers I picked. On the header of a form, I'd have a combobox to choose which lottery I wanted to compare the results to (its choices could simply be a value list), and 2 textboxes; begin date and end date so I could choose a date range for the results. The lower part of the form would have 2 subforms - one for the results, the other for my picks. In the results form, you'd need to identify the lottery date and specific lottery. Simpler for a novice to have a subform for results and one for picks per lottery as it would get pretty complicated to govern one form with 7 controls for a lottery that only plays 3 numbers.

Of course, if you're only talking about 1 lottery for now, it's 2 tables, one main form and 2 subforms. Not bad to start off with. How smart you want to make it is another thing altogether. By that I mean if you wish to prevent inputting one number 2x in the same set of picks, it starts to get complicated.

OK, so after I typed all of this, something made me decide to Google if you've posted this elsewhere, and it seems you have another version here.
Cross posting is allowed, but is supposed to be declared by the poster, lest we waste time replying to a thread that has solutions elsewhere. Please read this.

:(:(

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MushtaqAli

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back