Making a 'forum' type solution using access

rkolbi

Hi all,
For reasons beyond my manipulation, I am making - or trying to make, a forum type solution to be used on a LAN with MS Access. I do know many web solutions exist, and I have utilized quite a few, but those cannot be used in my current project so please don't tell me about all the goodness that they offer and how much easier it would be to shift over to them.

So, I have a very general start to it but I am having difficulty with prefilling in the post form with the parent thread. In the file linked below, I am trying to have the 'Plus' button next to the thread open a post form, with the thread prior selected.

If anyone has time to open it and have a go at it, I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-xBtlLOR7Yg964WBiHWGB1pSxUa6lAFc

Thanks much,
Bob

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
You are putting table directly on the form. You do not do that, you put a form on a form. Users should never see the tables.
So you would have your main form frmThread and a subform on that called frmPost.

I do not see any need for a reply table as all replies are in fact subsequent posts to the original post?

So your setup is a simple mainform with one subform (in datasheet/continuous mode). Perhaps a double click on the row opens a dialog form to add/edit, or just use the subfomr to add edit.
Depends on how complex you want it.

HTH

Upvote 0
Welshgasman, thanks for the assist but I don't quite follow, I intended to users to only use the report as an interface - I'm not fully understanding what you mean by a form on a form.

Upvote 0
Welshgasman, thanks for the assist but I don't quite follow, I intended to users to only use the report as an interface - I'm not fully understanding what you mean by a form on a form.

o, I have a very general start to it but I am having difficulty with prefilling in the post form with the parent thread. In the file linked below, I am trying to have the 'Plus' button next to the thread open a post form, with the thread prior selected.

I downloaded your database and looked at the forms not the report, but I've downloaded it here in work and OK you have controls on the report that open a form, but the logic would be the same? I took you 'plus' sign to mean the + sign on a record if it has children?

Can you elaborate more using the actual data you have in the db?

EG I am on thread Three post 1. If I click the red control on the post, what thread should I be editing.?
I'd expect that post for that thread, not the 'prior' thread.?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertJones1986

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back