bearcub

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2013
  3. 2010
  4. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a table which is supposed to have only a Year ended but someone added something that looks like a date.

The field should show 2016 as opposed to 6/25/16. We are using this data to generate directories for our members.

The field was initial set up as a text field.

The formula I was tried initialy in the query was:

=Year(VAL([Term_Year]))

Instead of getting 2017 and 2018 per the field entries each cell had 1905. I did use the Val function and got the correct year but one field was empty so I got a "#Error" message.

How do I fix these so I don't have to go back and manually correct the data?

Thank you for your help in advance,

Michael

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
You need to convert it to a Date, not a Value, i.e.
Code:
=Year(DateValue([Term_Year]))

Upvote 0
ah, thank you , that was the problem.

I did try to get rid of that null value and fix the field that had "6/25/2017" with the following formula:

IIf(IsNull([State Council Term End])," ",
IIf([State Council Term End]="##/##/##",
Year(DateValue([State Council Term End])),
Val([State Council Term End])))

Everything works fine except that I get "6" in the 6/25/2017 field. How do I get around this? It looks lik 6/25/2017 is being replaced by 6. I even tried "20"&Right([State Council Term End],2) but got the same result. I think problem is that I'm not providing the formula with the correct value for that "6/25/2017" field. Who knows, maybe in the future I might have something like "12/01/2017" so I need something to fix potential issues.

Any suggestions?

Thank you, as always for your help

Michael

Upvote 0
Can you provide us with samples of all the different values/formats you may get in this field?

Upvote 0
I'm getting three different value type. The field is supposed to be a Year field (but the data type is set up as text). Could I convert the data type to year only or would this create havoc with the outlier?

(a couple of fields with an empty field)
6/25/2017

I have 255 records and these are the distributed values.

I have 2 or 3 blank values (which is why I had to include the first Iif statement), and then I 1 "6/25/2017", and the remainder are 2016-2019 values,

Does this help

Like I mentioned, I presently have accounted for the Null value but I still have the problem field returnin the 6 in the "6/25/2017" field.

Thank you for your help,

Michael

Upvote 0
This will return the results as a Text value, but should handle all the different scenarios you presented.
Code:
IIf(Nz([Term_Year],"X")="X","",IIf(InStrRev([Term_Year],"/")>0,Mid([Term_Year],InStrRev([Term_Year],"/")+1),[Term_Year]))

If you need it to actually be a number, try this variation:
Code:
IIf(Nz([Term_Year],"X")="X",0,IIf(InStrRev([Term_Year],"/")>0,Mid([Term_Year],InStrRev([Term_Year],"/")+1),[Term_Year]))+0

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiSonic

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back