Query SharePoint based Db

mikeymay

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a Db located in a sharepoint folder and I am struggling getting a connection to open.

I have an Excel front end file which needs to query and write to this database.

When building in test mode on my desktop, the following in the Excel front end file worked perfectly well and the connection was established
Code:
Public Const strDbFile = "Drivers Master List.accdb"

Sub ADODBConn()

Dim strPath As String

strPath = ActiveWorkbook.Path

Set cnConnection = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

strDbName = strPath & "/" & strDbFile

cnConnection.Open "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=" & strDbName

Now the Db file is in a SharePoint folder, the
Code:
cnConnection.Open
command produces an 'Automation Error'. I am confident I have the correct folder names in the strPath as this will be a constant variable (the Db file will always be kept in one place) so I am unsure as to why the connection won't work. A bit more info - I previously stated the 'https:' in the SharePoint folder location and the automation error displayed instantly. I have taken the 'https:' out so there is just '//foldername/etc/etc' and this thinks about it for 10 seconds then produces the Automation error.

TIA

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
I've only worked between Access and SharePoint Excel files, but what I learned was that the path had to be the network path, not a web type of URL. It resembled the path of any other network drive that we had, but I had to get access permissions on it first. What might help you is to have an error handling routine to see if you're getting a specific error number that you can use to get on the right track (assuming all you get isn't just "Automation Error" and nothing else). I had to handle checking the workbook in and out as well, otherwise it was pointless to write to it. Not sure if that will be a hurdle you'll have to overcome as well. I supposed it depends on how they set up the file, but then again, Excel isn't really a multi-user app like Access, so it may not even be relevant.

Upvote 0
Thanks Micron

I have spoken to Microsoft and they have confirmed the only way to write to a db is to check it out to the users desktop....but I need to the db to be accessible my multiple users possibly at the same time so it seems it's not possible.

Upvote 0
I guess the better approach would be to have a split (front end / back end) whereby each user had their own fe copy and keep the be tables in a shared network folder. This way you could reverse the approach and have Access pull in the Excel data instead of the other way around. If need be, Access could also push the data to Excel, even if the workbook is in SP. It's not too hard to check in/out the workbook and move data to it for charting or whatever. Perhaps some users could get by with the runtime version of Access if licensing is an issue.
Good luck!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
recon11bucks

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back