Way to create a copy of a record before it gets modified

zach9208

Board Regular
Hello Access Experts! I have a database with several tables. I have a form that I have setup based on a data table called tblForecastMaster. I need to be able to create a copy of each record that gets modified.

The reason I need to do this is because we need to show the original record that we had with the original forecast, however, there are times that we need to make an adjustment to this record such as a changing some date fields and/or amount. I need to capture both the original as well as the new modified record

I am looking to get ideas how I could best do this so the process is user friendly and they do not have to copy the original record manually and pasting, then make change. I am hoping we can do something with the form but I could not think how that would work or maybe I need to add a macro. Or maybe an a append query, but I am unsure how it could figure out which record needs modified.

Any ideas of a good way to handle this? I am really looking for the easiest and most user friendly solution since several novice users will be using this database each month.

Thanks in advance!

Just as a note, the simplest thing to do is just create a copy of the original data, and then let users/clients have at it on the data (which can be considered Version 1 - the original and Version 2 - the updated or editable version).

Actually, I would be versioning all of the budgets because even when you start a new one next year or next quarter you still probably want to keep the prior budgets from previous years. Basically, a budget or a forecast should have an ID, and some budgets should be "done" while others are "in progress" (speaking from experience, anyway - forecasts take time to work out, even if you are very good at it, and at some point in time will be 25% done, 50% done, 75% done and so on, especially if input comes from various sources and needs to be put together).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KH Consulting

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back