Distribute Acess DB

behedwin

Hi

Im starting to look into how to distribute my access db to users.

I have 10 users.
We have a company network where we store files etc.

My idea is to do this:
1. Split my database in backend and frontend
2. Save the backend in a "hidden" folder on our network.
3. Save the frontend in the same hidden folder on our network.
4. Create a BAT file that i place in a visible place on our network.

When any user runs/opens the BAT file.
It will copy the frontend file and paste it on the users local computer in c:/database/
And then open that file.
When the user closes the file, it will stay there.
If the user opens the BAT file in the visible place on our network again, the code should do the same... copy (this time replace the current file in the c:/database/ folder) and open.

Do you guys think this is a viable solution?
Or is it better to just create
10 folders on our network and name them with the users names and let them use one frontend file each?

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
My users have their FE in their personal network folder. No need to run a bat file. They run a shortcut on the desktop to run the FE.
IF changes are made to the app, i click a button and it copies the new FE to all users folders.

No need to copy/paste EVERY time a user wants to run the app.

Upvote 0
PMFJI - just a thought. I think the proposed solution, although workable, would require the person doing this upload to have network administrator type rights in order to save files into someone else's personal folder. If behdwin has that capability, then it's a method he/she can pursue. If not, then there are other ways.
and let them use one frontend file each?
This is what you should be doing regardless of what method you use to distribute the file.

One other way is to have a version number in the BE and the FE that you update when you've got a new FE to release. When a user opens their FE, startup code compares these values. If they don't match, they have been instructed to get the new file (because AFAIK, you can't use the FE they've started up to overwrite itself). What this method is depends on how you want to manage this. They could have an additional desktop shortcut that they use to run a batch file that copies the new FE into their personal network folder as long as they have permissions on both. However, you might prefer to have that shortcut open a new db that you've coded to do the same job, with the added advantage that you could check for the existence of the locking file MyDatabase.laccdb (if that's the version you'd have) in their folder. If this is possible using DOS commands in a batch file, I have no idea how.

If the locking file is found, offer to attempt to delete. If yes and the code can't delete, then either there is a network or user permissions issue and things should halt. Sometimes, network lag can cause the locked file to remain for a while after the db was closed. It also can happen if they're closing the db in an improper fashion. Assuming things go smoothly, the copying db copies over the new FE from where you keep the current FE file. Each time you release a new FE you overwrite the old one, and the new upload process repeats. This copy db can be shared without being split as it would not contain data of any sort, and can be in the same folder as the current FE. In fact, beyond possibly providing the option to delete the FE locking file (that's an option - you could simply attempt to delete if found), it wouldn't have to present anything to the user other than a message at the end to advise all done or there was a failure to perform any action.

The advantage of such an approach is that the user controls the update which means you don't need admin privileges on their personal folders. Anyway, that's just one take on the matter. Others might have simpler/better ways.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back