How to make it more userfriendly - trust my document

behedwin

Hi

My users are quite bad at computers generally.... they dont know what to do and if they see a warning message they panic.

For example now when i launche my new application for them.
They get hold up when they start the application.
They work at different computers so they dont have a personal.

I would like to make it default that my access files are fully trusted and activated when they start.
Or at least some simple popups show the first time.

But as it is now, access show some messages that end up behind the forms that autostart.

Is there some way to make this process better for the users?

I have a split database, backend and frontend.
Have not done anything else with the files.

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Wont i need to setup trusted locations on each computer we have? Or can i set it up in my files?

Upvote 0
Yes, they will need to be set-up on each computer, but it will only be a one-time thing. I would recommend sending out instructions to each user on how to do that, and where they want it set up.

You cannot "force" it to be done with code. If you could, it would totally defeat the purpose of security, and someone could use it to "force" malicious code to be run on a computer.

Upvote 0
Is this a network environment where each user has their own personal drive and you put a front end for each user in it? In that case, it shouldn't matter what pc they log on to. Their personal folder is trusted across the network. Or are you trying to store fe copies on every pc' C:\ drive that they end up using from one day to the next?

Upvote 0
Is this a network environment where each user has their own personal drive and you put a front end for each user in it? In that case, it shouldn't matter what pc they log on to. Their personal folder is trusted across the network. Or are you trying to store fe copies on every pc' C:\ drive that they end up using from one day to the next?

It is in a shared network enviroment where each user has their own personal FrontEnd file that they use

User 1 is named Jenny
Her file is in 192.168.1.10\sharednetwork$\Application\
named Jenny
the next user has its file in the same folder but named with that users name.

Upvote 0
I've never used that schema and don't pretend to be a network guru. Nonetheless, I don't get why you'd have a Trusted Location issue just because they go to a different pc. If 192.168.1.10\sharednetwork$\Application\ is a TL, I would expect it to work from any pc as long as you select the option to extend the setting to all sub folders of that directory. Maybe you didn't create a TL for that location, or didn't extend it to all subfolders of that location. Sorry I can't help more than that.

Upvote 0
I think you can help.
Im so new to this that i bet immissing something.

My network location is the safe place/location. So if i want all my users to be able to open any files on our network.
I need to setup each Access installation with the settings of trusting our network and subfolders?
And i can not do this from one place, it needs to be done from every computer in the company?

Am i correct?

Upvote 0
I think you can help.
I will try, but as I said, networking isn't my strong point so some of this is just speculation.
As a simple example, say you have a server set up like \\ServerName\Department\PersonName and each person can create files and folders under their name as "private". If I create a file with macros or code down in my PersonName tree, that folder has to be a tl. If I make PersonName and all subfolders a tl, any place I put such a file in my own tree should run OK. I'd expect the application to issue a warning about using the subfolder approach as it has in the past for me. This would have to be done either by a network admin from their station, or yes, go around to each user and set it up.

You seem to have a situation where the fe files exist in \\ServerName\Department\Applications format. If the fe exists in \Applications\MyDatabase\Jenny then I'm saying either \Jenny has to be a tl or MyDatabase has to be a tl with the option set to propagate to all sub folders, the latter seeming the most logical if there's control about the files permitted to exist there under. My expectation is that either way, it would be able to be done once by the network admin and the fe's should work.

What I admit I don't know is if the setting can work by creating the tl directly on a server or if the setting value has to exist on the pc drive itself. In the latter case, I guess going around to different stations or giving others a Coles Notes version on how to do it themselves is the answer. I have worked on projects that have added keys to the registry via code, so I can't really agree with the statement that it's not possible to do via code. However, it is a skill that can be dangerous in novice hands and I don't advise it. If tl locations are your responsibility, then I suggest you research (Google) trusted locations and see what you find. Otherwise, consult your network admin to see about setting a tl on the server. Another thing that just came to mind on that aspect is whether or not you're using Terminal Services type of network or pc's. I'd think it more possible on a TS network since the user doesn't have a pc anymore.

P.S - luckily I copied all my answer before trying to save. I got a message from FireFox saying the connection was terminated for security reasons and the answer was gone. So apologies if it gets double posted.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max_pedreira

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back