Command line to open file on sharepoint

Ethvia

Board Regular
Good morning.

I have had a SQL database running for years at our company that uses MS Access as a front end and it works great. I have it setup so that when the user wants to view a document (pdf for example) they can just click on a button in the Access front end and the database knows the file location on our server and pulls it up.

Our company is now wanting to move all of these sort of files (pdf, doc, xls) off of a 'normal' server and onto SharePoint365. I know the path to the file but Access doesn't seem to understand it.

For example currently I would use this statement to pull up the document:

Application.FollowHyperlink "M:\ED Write Ups" & [Document_ID] & ".pdf"

However the same logic doesn't appear to work in SharePoint.

The path in SharePoint would be

https:\\ph.sharepoint.com/teams/nclin/BAM/ReportData/Forms/AllItems.aspx?id=%2Fteams%2Fnclin%2FBAM%2FReportData%2FAutomated%20Bed%20Snapshots%2FHistorical%20Snapshots

and the file name (if hard coded) would be "Bed Snapshot - 2016-12-15 07.pdf

Is it possible for MS Access to reference and display a file from Sharepoint?

thanks!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
I see no answers yet, so I'll contribute what little I know of this. From other posts here or elsewhere (I can't recall where) seems to me there's no way to serve up a file to Access from SharePoint without checking it out. At least that was the determination when said file was an Access db. Access can check in and out a file from SP, but in the other case it made no sense since the db itself was intended to be shared.

Also, when I had to write Access data to a SP workbook, I had to use the standard server syntax. While the server did seem to have a url type of address (it was reachable via browser) it also had a standard server address which I had to use (e.g. \\SomeServer\).
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back