Report Formatting

geospatial

I am trying to format a report, but am having a difficult time. I have 3 fields that I want to display information on. Equipment Type, Model, and Serial Number.

What I would like is for the Equipment Type be centered on the page and grouped.
Under it I would like each equipment type (printer, laptop, etc)

Under Each Equipment Type would be a grouping of the model and then the serial numbers under that, but instead of the serial numbers going down in a column I want them to be spread across multiple columns. Like 4 or 5 wide and then down to the next row until all the serial numbers for that row have been placed, then go to the next model.

Any thoughts. This is Access 2013

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Hi!
You have to create group levels for Equipment Type and Model.
This is made easy with the help of the Office Assistant.
If you need further assistance, please contact us.

Upvote 0
Ive done the group levels, as far as I know how to do them, but it doesnt put it like I would like.

I need it to be more like below.

Dell Latitude E6540

MXL1213456 MXL12313131 MXL123131 MXL12313131

but I can only get it to do one serial number per row as below

Dell Latitude E6540

MXL13215643
MXL 13241311

Upvote 0
The only way I can think of that you might be able to do this without a bunch of report code is hide the controls that contain the serials if there's more than one, and instead show a single one. Then you'd have to make the single visible one concatenate all the serials using spaces as separators. If there is only one anyway, then you'd have to concatenate the values upstream so that the report receives the data as one long space separated string. You will probably have issues around the height of the report section working in conjunction with the height of the control, and you will not be able to control how many appear on one line beyond simply playing with the control width.

The easiest thing to do here is what you should when working in Access - forget the spreadsheet approach for anything. Spreadsheet data is primarily column oriented; db's are row oriented.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks,

I was looking at possibly doing a concatenate on the serial numbers. Might have to look into that more.

Thanks for the link. I will check it out this weekend.

Upvote 0
As far as I know what you want is "newspaper" style columns. I think this is possible in Access but it's been very long since I've done anything like it.
Try this article to see if it helps:
http://www.databasedev.co.uk/multi-column_report.html

You can also Google MSAccess Newspaper Layout report

I guess it depends on one's interpretation of the desired results. I knew about that method, but it is a top to bottom (columnar) approach as you point out. I interpreted the goal to be a left to right linear result.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back