bearcub

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2013
  3. 2010
  4. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
I am going to placing an Excel file and Access DB in OneDrive.

Can I have linked files between the two applications or do I have to run macros to import Excel into Access.

Thank you for your help.

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Fine, thank you.

I just wanted to know if some of Access and Excel functionality is lost if both applications are loaded to OneDrive.

I found when I had an Access file loaded to Sharepoint. I realized that Sharepoint may have a limitation to one linked file (I had multiple tables pointing to different databases) . When I converted all of the tables except one to a local tables I was able to update the DB Sharepoint and it worked the way it should. I also found out that Access VBA is disabled in Sharepoint though you can used built in macros (one that come with the program).

I don't know how OneDrive works other than loading files onto it.about. I'm wondering if all the macros would work and if I would be able to used linked tables from Excel to Access.

Has anyone experienced any types of limitations storing Excel or Access files on OneDrive?

Thank you for your help,

Michael

Upvote 0
Yes, this is something I've never used but it seems to be the new kid on the block.

Upvote 0
It doesn't sound like you only want to store the files on OnDrive - it sounds like you want to run them from there. I would NOT do that, assuming you even can. Confess that I'm new to OneDrive, but it doesn't strike me as being a whole lot different from communicating with any other off-site server. You might be lucky for a short time, but transferring data over the web is kind of like
Hi, are you there?
Yes
OK, then bananas. Did you get it?
You said "bananas".
Great. On to the next packet...
OK, I'm still here.
"Oranges". Did you get it?
IMHO, if you try to work with your files this way, you are asking for corruption big time - especially for Access. Same goes for using Access over wifi. I just would not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think I found out the problem. The macros weren't working but it seems that I have to map OneDrive as a trusted source. The company that I'm working for using OneDrive all the time for them to Share Access database updates. This is all it would be used for - it save having to send the DB's back and forth via email.

I was able to get it to work on Friday but I don't know if this is going to work indefinitely. I'm new to OneDrive myself and I will be learning more about it while on this assignment. Just crossing my fingers! Your advice is duly noted.

Thanks for your help,

Michael

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back