Sorting numbers in form

oni1983

I have a drop down list with numbers from 1 to 20 which I use in a form. The numbers when sorted appear like this:

I would like to change numbers 1 to 9 to 01, 02 etc so that numbers when sorted appear like this:

However i am afraid to edit the numbers in the drop down list as I'm not sure if the data will automatically refresh i.e. if a record was 1 and now in the list there is only 01, will the record automatically be associated with 01?

I hope I'm explaining my problem clearly!

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Hi,
How do you populate this list in the drop down?

Upvote 0
That sound like the numbers are actually text?
Though if that was the case it should be

Upvote 0
That's actually how they appear (I made a mistake in my post :))

The list is a combo box created manually in the table i.e. not a different table with a relationship. I confirm that the list is in text format.

Upvote 0
The list is a combo box created manually in the table i.e. not a different table with a relationship. I confirm that the list is in text format.

I'm not sure what you mean. Is the data in a table? if so you should change the table to have a number data type so it can sort properly. Or change the formatting to include leading zeros on the one digit numbers.

Your original question isn't clear either:
However i am afraid to edit the numbers in the drop down list as I'm not sure if the data will automatically refresh i.e. if a record was 1 and now in the list there is only 01, will the record automatically be associated with 01?
What records are you worried about?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sounds like a lookup field in a table.
AFAIK, you cannot use the format function on a text field to pad it with zeros, so that won't work. But to show them without actually altering the data, use an expression in an unbound form control, like = "00" & [Field] where Field is the name of the control actually holding the data. However, the number of leading zeros could not be volatile without a lot of work (if at all). If you must have this field as text, then you will never sort on the values as numbers. 113 comes somewhere after 1, and 2 comes after 113. Your only hope would be a sort field that you add.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcus05

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back