bearcub

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2013
  3. 2010
  4. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
Is there a way in Access to convert a standalone table to a linked table (without re importing it as a linked table)?

I have several tables that I would like to link from Excel To Access. Ordinarily I would import the Excel tables as linked tables but I was wondering if there a quick way of doing this without importing the new tables, delete the old tables, renew the new tables and then update my queries with these linked tables.

This brings me to another question.

If I import a linked table then delete the static table and then rename the linked table with the table name that was just deleted would it break any queries that I have that associated with them?

If this is the case, I'll have to go to the queries and add these new linked tables to the queries.

I hope this isn't confusing

In other words, I want to convert static tables to linked tables. My fear is that if I delete the static tables and replace them with the linked tables (but using the same names as the ones that were just deleted) I will have to reset the queries with the new tables even though they have the same name as the previous one.
Thank you for your patience,

Michael

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
As far as I know, if you replace your tables in any way with new tables that have the same name (linked or otherwise - or even replace with queries that have the same name, for that matter) then everything will still work fine ... if ... that is ... the field names are all there and the column data is compatible with the previous data types, and all of those important things.

Upvote 0
That's good to know. I am not changing the table structure or any of the data, I am just linking it to Excel. So, I'm have to import all these tables, delete the non linked tables and then renamed the link tables with the same name.

I was hoping this would be the case, thank you for the info.

Michael

Upvote 0
If I import a linked table
Importing is importing. Linking is not importing. When you link, the source data can change and the new data is available when the db opens again. AFAIK, the updated data is available each time you access the linked table. This is the major reason for linking. Your queries/forms/reports don't concern themselves about whether the table is linked or not. If the linked version is the same (as pointed out) no problem. 1 thing you can do for peace of mind: don't delete the old, rename it until you're happy with the result.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back