Envelope report has errors after updating equipment

wirescool

Hello!

Looking for some help on an old mdb that some friends at a local horse barn had made for them in 1997. They recently purchased new equipment for their office, and are no longer able to use their report for printing #10 envelopes in the same way that the old equipment used to.

Nothing changed about the report itself, and it looks like it was designed to print in the top left corner of an 8.5 x 11 page so that it would print in the correct area when an envelope was loaded into the printer.

Now, a new computer, new version of Access, and a new printer have been added into the mix. Instead of printing regularly, the result is a few blank envelopes, followed by a printed envelope that has the recipient's last name, street type (Rd, St, Ct, etc), and ZIP code missing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hfy77i4ryojznz0/HorseBarn.accdb?dl=0

Any ideas? Changing the paper type on the printer's settings doesn't seem to work.

TIA!

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Can they use the old printer to test out if the new printer is the problem?

Upvote 0
They don't have the old printer anymore, unfortunately.

There are a lot of variables at play, so I'm curious to see what other folks have tried. Have you seen different results with different printer models before?

Upvote 0
No, I was just trying to eliminate one of the variables from the equation.
If you have the mdb, you can see how it creates the letters in the code. Perhaps it has some code that matched the old printer?

Upvote 0
I PM'ed you a share link with the data tables cleared.

I don't see anything printer-specific, but I'm not exactly an expert in Access!

Upvote 0
In messing around with printers, I found that sometimes the margins changed when you switched printers, which can sometimes cause extra pages to be printed.
Basically, you need to make sure that the size of the report plus the margins is less than (or equal to) the width of paper source (envelope).

Upvote 0
Got it working at my home on two different printers!

The barn owners were able to provide a database for companies that was working, created by the same person who made the one that wasn't working for individual customers. Luckily, everything was named pretty much the same way.

I just exported the Envelope form from the working database over, and updated a couple fields to read in the customer data instead of company data, and it printed just fine.

TBD if this will work with their printer, but I'm hopeful! :)

Upvote 0
Well it looked OK to me, but as I am in the UK, we use A4 not 8*11 and I could only spend a small amount of time on it.
I could not find any specific printer code associated with the button though.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back