import information from excel to access

theYaniac

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to import cost report information from an excel sheet to an access table. I have the fields in the access table matched exactly to the excel sheet i am trying to import from. However, the access import wizard is showing three additional fields that don't exist in my excel sheet. It keeps returning an error and will not import. The last column used in the excel sheet is column AE (resource class). Access import wizard is showing 3 fields to the left of this column. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS Is there a way to attached snipped screen shots to this forum?

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
positive, I copy and pasted values only on the excel sheet for a test run to link the two together

Upvote 0
I do a LOT of imports this way. What you also need to do is make sure the Excel columns are not active. Empty is not good enough. Highlight every column except the ones you're importing and Clear>All. That should do it for you.

Upvote 0
Also, if this is something you're going to be doing often, write code to do it (instead of using an import spec). You'll have a lot more control.

Upvote 0
I have my cost reports set up in excel for each facility at the moment. I would like to eventually have everything in access. For the columns i n the excel sheet that perform all of my calculation, should I set up fields in access to now perform the calculations and only import the raw data from excel?

Upvote 0
If the data will always be coming into Access from Excel, I would build my calculations into the import process. If the data will all be entered into Access itself, then, depending on your processes and timelines, you can do it either with data entry or on a set schedule (i.e. calculating all the revenue from entered orders when you do invoicing). Whatever makes the most sense for what you have and need to do.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b1step2far

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back