After data entry: generate and display list of entries with a specific matching value

Thirith

Board Regular
I'm currently working on a database of funding proposals, and I'm looking for a good way to do the following:

• When a new proposal is entered on the main form, Access should check whether the same person has submitted any earlier proposals. (I'd imagine this when the field for the applicant's name is filled in.)
  • If there aren't any other applications by the same person, nothing happens.
  • If there are any other applications by the same person, a list pops up (not sure what format makes most sense: text box? form in datasheet view?) listing those proposals, and a number of other values on the same table.
How would the Access pros go about achieving this?

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
I would have a list box on the side of the form and, when the name of the proposer is entered/selected, in the AfterUpdate event for the control, I would requery the list box for proposals made by that same person. If there haven't been any, nothing will appear. If there have, they will. Decide what info you want to display and how to sort it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back