bearcub

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2013
  3. 2010
  4. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a query which shows a zero in phone field even though the table setting are set to short text. I have 5 data bases that are built off of the same template but 2 of 5 are showing zeros in the phone fields. Is there a way to suppress zeros from being shown in the query even though that zero is actually text not numeric.

I looked at the Excel sheet where the table is linked to and it is formatted as General. I looked at the Access table data type and they are formatted as short text. Is there some way to suppress these zeros from showing in the query so the zeros will be changed to "".

Thank you for your help,

Michael

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Maybe a calculated field something like:
Code:
Phone:IIF([FieldName]="0","",[FieldName])
or
Code:
Phone:IIF([FieldName]=0,"",[FieldName])

Upvote 0
make sure the form field doesn't have a default value set (properties sheet, data tab). Also, the fact that a table field is set to text doesn't prevent you from setting a default of zero (0) in that field, but I presume you would have checked that already.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, I already checked that. I think what happened is that I had imported linked Excel files in Access overwriting the existing linked table. Does this happen often?

Upvote 0
Not sure what you're saying. If in Access, you link a spreadsheet as a table, it gets updated automatically. However, one of the inherent problems with this is that it's generally accepted that Access bases the data type estimate (at least for imported, non-linked tables) based on a certain number of rows when importing. This seems to be an accepted fact, but the number of rows reported varies. I think it is 8. So for a column of numbers, an empty spreadsheet cell or one that contains anything that isn't a number, can coerce the data type in Access to be text if that occurs within that number of rows. Access will even automatically set a default of 0 in a number field when the table is created. Thus the reason you can end up with zeros in your form can be caused by things other than the way you set up a table initially. Actions that you take later can alter the initial design (such as over writing the table and ending up with a default in the new table).

This is why it's often said that it's better to have a native table in addition to the linked (or imported spreadsheet) and populate the "main" table via a query. As long as the table is designed in a way that will accommodate your possibilities, the data should go into the main table and maintain its proper type/format. An exception would be if your table field must only contain numbers and someone puts text in the related spreadsheet column, and that text bears no resemblance to a number.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's interesting. This sounds like what happened. Since I imported and over rode the existing table with a new linked table it must have added "0" to the text field.

Thank you for the explanation,

Michael

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back