Access Spilt DB BE

jlyn123

Office Version
  1. 2016
Hello-

I have created a spilt DB for users who will be using different forms from the front end database. I have come to find out that when updates are made to the backend database they will not transfer to the front end database unless the backend database is saved on a shared network. The issue I am having is I dont have a shared network where all users would have access to. So I thought sharepoint might be a good spot for the BE DB; however, when I tried to make updates to the BE DB from sharepoint - I wasnt able to use the front end DB. The forms wouldnt work the DB couldnt locate the BE though I have access to sharepoint and where the frontend DB is saved?

If I have an export of updates replacing an existing table within the backend DB on a regular basis will this still work if the BE DB is saved on sharepoint? The updates will always come from another DB to the BE DB and then utlimately the information needs to be transferred to the front end DB that would be saved on mulitple user's desktops. Can this work through sharepoint? If so, is there specific settings that will need to be turned on? Or is there a better option?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
My understanding is that using SharePoint is quite the hassle ... that said, I have a question. How are you pushing FE's to users if you don't have a shared network?

I have a book, "The Access 2016 Bible," which has a chapter on linking tables to SharePoint. Since I don't plan on using this, I'm just perusing, abut here is my take.

You can link sharepoint lists to an Access DB, as with any linked table. Also, you can export a table to SharePoint as a list. In my opinion, and I'm still learning, you *might* be able to build custom FE's for your users that use data linked to the SharePoint site. In turn, they might be able to export results back to SharePoint, but then to ultimately get this data in to your back end, you would have to build specific queries and such to take the results of your users and import them back from a list. It might be possible to automate much of that, but from my reading there are numerous issues with certain data types, etc.

Given all this, I would not think the updates replacing tables will still work through sharepoint.

Perhaps another solution would be to create another database for you as admin, and link it in some way to the one currently using. Then use this secondary db as a way to push fresh FE's to your users? I'm really just guessing here, as I'm still a newbie.

Why don't you have a shared network all your users have access to? Why not make a business use case and argue for a restricted area of whatever shared network you do have, and attempt to get your users access to that? I understand getting elevated privileges can be a hassle ... but that might be your best bet.

Or find a way to hack around the restrictions your organization has set.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back