Data ID Question

brysonb12

First off I am a very green user to access,

I have a generic access database that a clerk fills out a form and that form feeds a collection table called "employeecollection".

I have a program that allows me to have a bar code on a employee identification card who's number is based off my access data base "DATAID". Basically they are assigned the next available number based on the entry. (Ex, 100,101,102,103,104,105,106.........)

I use a program that tracks tools, and we use a barcode to track by employee.

I have recently ran into a problem where another location uses the same program to track tools and its combined across both sites.

My issue is the barcode numbers are about to dublicate based on the number of employees at the site, (We started at 0 and they started at 2000, and we are about to catch up to them)

I want to put a prefix "586" before the number and have the data ID pick up a number behind it, so for me my employee ID would be 5862000, if i was the 2000 employee to be on MY location).

I can get the 586 to show in the collection data by using the detail tab and going down to the Format section when setting up.

The issue i run into is it only shows on the collection table, when the number is on the forms page i have the data ID as a label to show me what the employee number is, for me it only shows the number and not the 586 portion, yet when i pull the collection table it shows 586100

Can anyone assist with this, I'm at a loss.

Hope i explained this well

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Ultimately, your problem is that changing the FORMAT of the field only changes how the text displays (and not what is actually there)

I'm assuming by what you describing that you are using an AUTONUMBER field. Ultimately, there is no clean way to change the data that is already there, however, you CAN basically reset the starting number for future employees. For instance, if the last user in your database right now is 1998, the next one can be 5861999 (and it will skip everything in between).

If that works for you, you would just need to create a new query with the following sql:
Rich (BB code):
ALTER TABLE employeecollection
   ALTER COLUMN DATAID AUTOINCREMENT(5861999,1)

make sure the table name, field name and starting number are all changed and correct based on what you need.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SarahSomethingExcel100

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back