Access Combining Tables

jlyn123

Office Version
  1. 2016
I am not sure what the best way to combine multiple tables into one table without causes duplicates is. I appended the tables to the main table but when I wanted to append again (with all the new rows) it pulled in everything that was already in the table. I dont want any duplicates - just a full list of all the items. I looked at a union query; however, there are 4 tables and they all have different amounts of columns so the query wont work. I cant do them separate either...so I am not sure what to do. I dont want to run a query to find the duplicates and delete that way - there will be too many and inefficient. I want a way to pull in either the new rows or delete the current main table and replace with each tables current listing. Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
I looked at a union query; however, there are 4 tables and they all have different amounts of columns so the query wont work. I cant do them separate either...so I am not sure what to do.

if your tables have different amounts of columns how would you put them in one table? For instance if one table has columns a, b and the other has columns c, d, e then what would you do if you were combining them into one table?

Upvote 0
Not all the columns are required to make up the master table. Just need a full listing of all linecodes but not all business require the same information that would be stored in the tables.

I dont tihkn an updaet query would work?

Upvote 0
yes, union sounds right:

select MyField from MyTable1
union
select MyField from MyTable2
union
select MyField from MyTable3
union
select MyField from MyTable4

The above query can be used as the basis for a make table query or an append query if you want to store the results in a table. Note that Union will remove duplicates by default (if by duplicates you mean all the fields in each row - some people confuse this with duplicates in only one of the fields).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back