Using a form to query between values

MCTampa

Board Regular
Hello,

I have a table of data where one column is called week number (from 1 to 52).
I created form with "Starting Week" and "Ending Week" as individual unbound text boxes.
I simply want the user to be able to filter their data between the Starting and Ending weeks.

When I use the following query criteria, it works:

>=[Forms]![Inputs]![StartingWeek].[Text]

and I get everything greater than the starting week.
Same deal for anything less than the ending week.

However, I cannot get the following to work:

>=[Forms]![Inputs]![StartingWeek].[Text] and <=[Forms]![Inputs]![StartingEnding].[Text]

Using Between.....And doesn't work either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Probably doesn't matter in this case (at least not yet) but are you sure you want to use the Text property of the control? To help any further, I think we need to see what the expression is being compare to. You've left that off at the beginning (what comes before >=) which can be just an oversight. However, it cannot be omitted from the right side of the expression.

SOMETHING
>=[Forms]![Inputs]![StartingWeek] And SOMETHING <=[Forms]![Inputs]![StartingEnding].[Text]
You cannot expect Access to interpret criteria the way your mind can/does. Each segment for AND or OR or BETWEEN has to be able to stand on its own. If you had

SOMETHING >=[Forms]![Inputs]![StartingWeek] And <=[Forms]![Inputs]![StartingEnding].[Text] then the rightmost part

<=[Forms]![Inputs]![StartingEnding].[Text]
makes no sense (at least to Access).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

It does make sense to Access - in the criteria of a query.

Is the form control called [StartingEnding] - you note above that it is called "Ending Week" - could it be you have just used the wrong name?

Upvote 0
also be careful of your unbound textboxes which might hold text values. If they are, then a text comparison of for instance 2 and 13 would be no results:

i.e.
between 2 and 13 --> (Text Comparison): no results because 13 is less than 2.
between 2 and 13 --> (Integer Comparison): fine, returns values from 2 to 13.

For what it's worth, you can use Access inbuilt filters by right-clicking on bound fields. There might be a between filter for numbers. Seems like nobody uses this kind of filtering but it's much easier than writing code to do filtering.

Upvote 0
It does make sense to Access - in the criteria of a query.
Can you show an example of how it can work when it is on the right side of the AND operator, and show the entire expression, including both sides?

Upvote 0
The Op says: When I use the following query criteria

There was no mention of Expression until your post.

An example would be:

Code:
SELECT *
FROM MyTable
WHERE ([My Value]>=[Forms]![MyForm]![Number1] And [My Value]<=[Forms]![MyForm]![Number2])

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To clarify - this is based on a query in Design view - not SQL:

v2zs6a.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Op says: When I use the following query criteria

There was no mention of Expression until your post.

When you quoted me in post 3 you left off the most critical part (in bold)

then the rightmost part

Expression or sql statement, it doesn't matter which I referred to, the reference has to be on both sides of the AND/OR/BETWEEN operator. Your example supports what I originally said:
([My Value]>=[Forms]![MyForm]![Number1] And [My Value]<=[Forms]![MyForm]![Number2])
Take away the red one, which is representative of how the original statement was posted by the OP and then what? I expect you'd agree that it won't work anymore. So I still don't see how your statement "It does make sense to Access - in the criteria of a query." applies to my incompletely quoted statement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The question is clearly about the criteria section in query design screen - your response is clearly not.

Look at the image in post #7 you will see my example does not support what your continuing to say is incorrect. Your comments are misleading - the issue has nothing to do with what you have responded, if the form control names are correct then >=[Forms]![Inputs]![StartingWeek].[Text] and <=[Forms]![Inputs]![StartingEnding].[Text] will work!

Upvote 0
Whatever. Who cares what's in the query design grid? It's a gui representation of what's behind in the sql statement. Take a look there and see if it makes sense to you. If not, so be it.
Signing off on this thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksonnia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back