Help! We forked our database!

salange

Board Regular
Hi all - I run a wildlife rehabilitation nonpropfit and I'm reasonable computer savvy but barely know any Access at all. I inherited an Access database of all of our 10,000+ animal intakes when I arrived, and I just realized that volunteers have been making additions/changes in two different versions of that database for the last six months.

It seems like the records fall into three categories:
- The large majority of records should be identical between the two, so obviously all of those should be in the "final" version.
- There probably 400 or so new records added to the two databases, and none that should have been deleted. So any record that is in one and not the other probably ought to make it into the final version.
- There are some number, maybe 100 or so, of records that exist in both versions but would have been edited (like when an animal that already had a record for intake got released) in one. These are a little trickier, but probably the more "up to date" version that should be included would be the one that has a "disposition date" included. Maybe that could be used to identify the "good" record to include.

How can I tackle this? Is there some utility or function that could just do it "automatically"? If not, what's the best alternative? I'll do it "manually" if I have to, but I don't even really know how to do that. Just running a "comparison" between the two to identify which records fall into which category above would help, but I don't know how.

Thank you so much for any help anyone can provide. It means a great to deal to us and our wild patients!

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
It sounds like you don't know much about databases. A simple and basically effective way to get your info would be to dump the records you are worried about into Excel, then sort them. Basically, it sounds like for each one that might have newer or older records that conflict, you'd want to keep the newer records and remove the older records. Naturally this is a stop gap to get you back on track without having to go through a crash course on SQL.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennlynn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back