DLookUp for textbox control source to pull from another query

figment222

Hello, I have been all over the web and keep seeing the same examples on how to do this, but for some reason, I can't get it work for me.

I have a form called "frm_Metals_JobDetails" it is bound to a query called: qry_MetalsJobsActive

There is one textbox on the form that I want pull data from another query called: qry_MetalsJobs_ItemStats. The field I want is called: ItemsCompleted

I made sure that qry_MetalsJobs_ItemStats has a field called: JobNum, which is the one that will have a matching value to a textbox on the form called: "TRC #"

Everybody says to use the DLookUp function in the control source for my textbox. Everybody pretty much uses the same format, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Here's what I have so far, via the expression builder:

=DLookUp("ItemsCompleted","qry_MetalsJobs_ItemStats","JobNum=" & [Forms]![frm_Metals_JobDetails]![TRC #])

I've also tried it with or without brackets. Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Remove the # symbol from the Textbox name, modify the Textbox reference in the Dlookup() function to reflect the name change. Normally this symbol (#) is used in expressions to enter a date constant like: #04/15/2018#.

Upvote 0
You don't need Dlookup.
if you use a combo box,put the field needed in an extra column,then fill the textbox with it.
cboBox bound to column 1 ,ClientID
column 2 is client name, so fill the textbox with it.
NOTE: in VB, columns start with zero,so actual column 2 is .column(1)
Code:
sub cboBox_afterUpdate()
   TxtBoxName= cboBox.column(1)
end sub

If you want to use DLOOKUP,
and the last param is a string, you must surround it with quotes,,,,,

=dlookup("field","query","[name]=' " & me.txtBox & " ' ")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Remove the # symbol from the Textbox name, modify the Textbox reference in the Dlookup() function to reflect the name change. Normally this symbol (#) is used in expressions to enter a date constant like: #04/15/2018#.

@ apr pillai... thank you for the suggestion. That is a good point, but I don't think that would be a problem unless I didn't surround [TRC #] with brackets, right?

Upvote 0
You don't need Dlookup.
if you use a combo box,put the field needed in an extra column,then fill the textbox with it.
cboBox bound to column 1 ,ClientID
column 2 is client name, so fill the textbox with it.
NOTE: in VB, columns start with zero,so actual column 2 is .column(1)
Code:
sub cboBox_afterUpdate()
   TxtBoxName= cboBox.column(1)
end sub

If you want to use DLOOKUP,
and the last param is a string, you must surround it with quotes,,,,,

=dlookup("field","query","[name]=' " & me.txtBox & " ' ")

I didn't quite understand your first suggestion with the combobox, but the 2nd part about surrounding the text string with apostrophes turned out to be the problem. It is indeed a text string I was pulling and when I put them in as follows into the expression builder, it worked like a charm. Thank you:

=DLookUp("ItemsCompleted","qry_MetalsJobs_ItemStats","JobNum='" & [Forms]![frm_Metals_JobDetails]![TRC #] & "'")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back