Importing a 23gb csv file into access?

jplank

Board Regular
I have a 23gb csv file and I'm using Access 2010. Is there any way I can import the csv file into a database? When I try to go to External Data > Text File and select the file, I get an error saying "Bad file name or data" and there are more rows than can be used in excel.

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Why not load it directly instead into Access?

Upvote 0
That doesn't sound too large for Access. Could be a bad file name or data.

I would try some experiments. See if you can import the first 20 rows of data. If that works try importing the first 1000 rows of the file. then the first 10000 rows. Work up until you have some idea where the bad data error appears.

Note I guess I should say that the file size by itself doesn't sound too large but there could be a lot of other problems, including (for example) that the database is already too large or that the file exceeds the column limit for Access, etc. etc. etc. That's why you want to try importing a sample of the data first just to get a finger on whether your data is even valid for access at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That doesn't sound too large for Access. Could be a bad file name or data.

I would try some experiments. See if you can import the first 20 rows of data. If that works try importing the first 1000 rows of the file. then the first 10000 rows. Work up until you have some idea where the bad data error appears.

Note I guess I should say that the file size by itself doesn't sound too large but there could be a lot of other problems, including (for example) that the database is already too large or that the file exceeds the column limit for Access, etc. etc. etc. That's why you want to try importing a sample of the data first just to get a finger on whether your data is even valid for access at all.

This is probably a dumb question, but how do I limit the import to the first X rows?

I see the screen where I'm asked to select the source and the error comes up before I can get to the next screen. I don't see an option to only import a certain number of rows.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Umm, Access has a 2Gb file size limit (including overhead) so 23 definitely sounds too large to me. Probably why you got the error, although it doesn't really pinpoint that as the reason. Then again, so many M$ error messages are vague, too broad in scope, or just plain not helpful.

Upvote 0
oh duh. I was assuming 23mb lol. Yes 23gb no can do.

To import the first x rows you can copy the first X rows to a new file and use that for your import.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewmorgan128

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back