Monthly Loan Payment Using Compound Interest

koolwaters

I need to create a loan amortization schedule using Access. My challenge comes as we are using compound interest and I need to determine the monthly payments.

I am able to get the total to be repaid using the formula:
=[LoanAmount]*((1+[InterestRate]/[CompoundType)^([LoanTerm]*CompoundType))

For example:
Loan Amount $15,000
Interest Rate 5%
Compound Type Monthly
Loan Term 5 Years

My formula returns $19,250.38.

What I need to do is determine what the monthly payment should be for that same loan using compound interest but I cannot seem to figure it out. If I use the PMT function in VBA, that gives me $283.07 as the monthly payment, which equates to $16,984.11 over the 5 years, a difference of $2,266.37.

Thanks for any feedback.

There is only one PMT function so it won't work for both of these. For your second scenario you can simply divide the total by the number of periods: 1276.28/60 = $21.27 with some rounding adjustment required in practice (it will be off by about 8 cents after 60 payments - not sure what banks do. I I would simply reduce or increase the final payment to make up the gap).

Note that you don't actually need the payment for using FV. Here you would use zero for the payment (to calculate the FV of the total interest assuming no payments, which is effectively 5 full years of compounding interest). The payment argument is irrelevant because you don't want payments to apply against principal. Again, that function assumes that payments are applied against principal and interest and will reduce the principal and interest over time as the principal is paid down.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back