Access: Table Column Width

gheyman

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a Split form where the table format is shown on the bottom half of the form. Is there a way to "autofit" or size the columns size when the form is refreshed or opened?

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
I've never seen this, not that it isn't possible. The way I remember forms with data tables, column widths are consistent - basically, they stay the same as what they were last time (assuming you allow the form to save this information). Is that not good enough?

Upvote 0
I think you will find that if you open the form and double click on the column border, it will resize to the widest content in the view. If you scroll down and find a field with a wider line and do that again, it will go wider. Conversely, go back to a view where the widest line is less than the last view, it will resize smaller to the widest line in that view. I've seen questions on this before and I don't recall if there were any viable solutions. If there were, they must have involved getting the longest character length in a given field (or worse, fields) and sizing according to that.Who knows where that record is? Due to the nature of how it works, I think it's a pretty useless exercise to adjust to a width for data that's not in view. This would also mean horizontal scrollbars come in to play. A user might ask why the scroll bar when everything (that is visible) is so narrow. Best to just double click on the column border as needed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harryls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back