Looking for a solution to a relationship between 2 tables

MrByte

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
I may have just figured it out but I thought I would throw it out there and see if anyone has a different solution. I work a pizza delivery company and I get a printed out receipt for each delivery I make. On there is a delivery date, order number, order time, order out, address, etc. I created a table just for those tickets and everything was working fine until I wanted to start tracking my mileage.

So I thought lets create another table with just the delivery date, order number, trip number, trip amount, trip start (starting mileage), trip stop (ending mileage) and a calculated field named distance. The way I see it there is no unique filed between the two tables. I cannot use order number because there may be the same order number today that I would deliver tomorrow. Then I thought maybe I can concatenate a unique ID that would work between the two tables. To which I learned you cannot do that in Access or at least I got an error message saying I couldn't create a relationship between the two tables using a calculated field.

So I am not really wanting to do this but I would just add the fields from my tblMileage to my tblTicketData. What are your thoughts? Is there a way I can have the two separate tables or should I just combine them?

Thanks for the ideas.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
I'm not an Access user, but it seems like the key should be the date and order number: yyyy-mm-dd-ooo

Upvote 0
I did try creating a unique ID using the calculated method of Day([DelDate])&IIF([OrderNum]<10,'0'&[OrderNum],[OrderNum]) which would result in an example like 1401. If this was the first delivery I did for today.

Upvote 0
Reckon that would work for single month -- but I know nothing about Access.

Upvote 0
I'd just have one table and have the start and end mileage in it.?
None of the orders are linked as far as I can see.

You can then total your miles, per week,month and year with a query.?

HTH

Upvote 0
I don't see anything wrong with mileage in the first table either - if you want a specific mileage for each ticket it can be in there as a specific attribute of that ticket. Otherwise, in general an ID field, even an autonumber ID field, would also be a way to join fields on separate tables.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back