Date Query

SDowse

Board Regular
Hi,

I have an Access db, containing 1 column which has date information in it. The field is called Added. I also have a field called "Account No".

I am wanting to create a query against the Added field to either:
- Count all the Account No's where the Added date was Friday to Sunday, if today is a Monday
- Count all the Accounts No's where the Added date was yesterday, if today is not a Monday

I am struggling to work out how to do this in a query - any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Simon

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
in a query, Q1, to pull all data, add the field TodayDOW: format(date(),"ddd")
this will give you the day of week. Mon, Tues,

in Q2, use Q1 above,
in criteria under TodayDOW , set to "Mon"
add the field AcctDow: Format( [AcctDate], "ddd") and add criteria: "Fri" or "Sat" or "Sun",
and Count the [acctNo] field.
Uncheck the AcctDow to make it a 'where' clause, unless you want to know # of accts on that dayOWeek

Q3, same, but different...
in criteria under TodayDOW , set to: <> "Mon"

Upvote 0
You can also use the Weekday() function to get a number 1 (Sunday) to 7 (Saturday)

Though I would do a query against the original data that counts the account numbers and, for the Added criteria, I would use:

=IIF(WeekDay(Date())=2, (BETWEEN (Date()-3) AND (Date()-1)), ((Date()-1)))

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0
You can also use the Weekday() function to get a number 1 (Sunday) to 7 (Saturday)

Though I would do a query against the original data that counts the account numbers and, for the Added criteria, I would use:

=IIF(WeekDay(Date())=2, (BETWEEN (Date()-3) AND (Date()-1)), ((Date()-1)))

Hope that helps!

Hi - thanks for the response. This makes sense to me and I was almost there with creating this query myself before posting. The only difference was I didn't included all the ()'s that you have stated above. The issue I am having, even using your formula, is the "Is True" part is not working. I have tried this today (changing the Date())=2 to Date())=3) and no result are returned/

If I leave as Date()) = 2 then I get the results for 22nd October. As today is "3", the false part is working.

If I change, for the purpose of testing, to Date()) = 3, no result are returned, even though I know there is data from 20th to 22nd October.

I have the Account No showing as Count, and have tried Count, Group By and Where for the Added field.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Simon

Upvote 0
Date() is a system function that returns the current date.

If today is a Tuesday, then Weekday(Date()) will always equal 3 and never equal 2. For your test, I think you wanted this: WeekDay(Date()-1)=2

If still having trouble post your query with context (i.e. all of it), not just the bare expression (which is only a small part of it) so we can see how you are using the expression.

-- Note that for the sake of completeness, I will mention that you can adjust the weekday function to return different values by providing an optional "first day of week" parameter ... but we will assume here that Sun = 1, Mon = 2, Tues = 3 and so on. But this isn't the main thing to focus on here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max_pedreira

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back