Create a Starting Number based on the Ending Number of Another Record

watdahek

Hi,

I am looking to create a headcount query that has 5 fields: Week #, Start Headcount, New Hire, Attrition, End Headcount

I would like Week #2 Starting Headcount to = Week #1 Ending Headcount

I keep running into a circular reference issue and I completely get why. If I create a Week #1 Starting Headcount Table with static numbers can I avoid the circular reference? Any assistance in solving this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Steve

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
I've done something similar. I added a record with a starting headcount and then wrote a query summing the starting headcount plus all new hires minus terminations for the current headcount.

Upvote 0
I've done something similar. I added a record with a starting headcount and then wrote a query summing the starting headcount plus all new hires minus terminations for the current headcount.

Can you explain more what you mean by "added a record". I tried creating a starting headcount query but it is still circular.

Thanks

Upvote 0
How are you storing your data? Is it in a table? And does the table go back to the beginning? I'm assuming you're talking about employees here.

If the table has every employee in it, then COUNT([NewHires]) - COUNT([Attrition]) should give you your starting number.

If the table doesn't have every employee, or it stores different data, you'll need to find a way to include your starting headcount. You can add a record into the table (if that's appropriate) or you could just hardcode the number into the query [15+COUNT([NewHires])], since the number you started with won't be changing.

Upvote 0
I am looking to create a headcount query that has 5 fields: Week #, Start Headcount, New Hire, Attrition, End Headcount

I would like Week #2 Starting Headcount to = Week #1 Ending Headcount

I keep running into a circular reference issue and I completely get why. If I create a Week #1 Starting Headcount Table with static numbers can I avoid the circular reference? Any assistance in solving this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Steve

What is your query you have tried that isn't working?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guy Boot

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back