Error Code: The command or action 'DeleteRecord' isn't available now

MHamid

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hello,

I have the code below set up within a command button. I need to move the record to another tableand then delete it from the current table. I am able to get the code below towork one piece at a time, but it’s not working combined into a click of thebutton. I am getting the error message “Command or Action ‘DeleteRecord’ isn’tavailable now”. When I click the button, it will archive the record, but itwill not delete the record. Any ideas?

Code:
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Private Sub Command577_Click()[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]'Archive Record[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Dim strSQL As String[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]strSQL = "INSERT INTO archive_RET_Accumulated([REF_NUM], [ExamID], [Exam Name], [Exam Agency], [OCC SL No], [Exam Objective], [Primary ExamScope DSMT Managed Segment], [Field Work Start Date], [Field Work CompleteDate], [Exam Flag], [Exam Category], [Exam Subcategory], [Exam Owner], [ExamStatus], [Primary Exam Scope DSMT Managed Geography], [Senior Owner],[O&T_Impact], [Exam_Owner_Group_Name], [Exam_Owner_DSMT],[Senior_Owner_Group_Name], [Senior_Owner_DSMT], [RET_Accumulated_Flag], [RET_Accumulated_Added_Date])"& _[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]    "VALUES ('" &Me.REF_NUM & "',  '" &Me.Exam_ID & "', '" & Me.Exam_Name & "',  '" & Me.Exam_Agency & "','" & Me.OCC_SL_No & "', '" & Me.Exam_Objective &"', '" & Me.Primary_Exam_Scope_DSMT_Managed_Geography &"', '" & Me.Field_Work_Start_Date & "', '" &Me.Field_Work_Complete_Date & "', '" & Me.Exam_Flag &"', '" & Me.Exam_Category & "', '" &Me.Exam_Subcategory & "', '" & Me.Exam_Owner &"','" & Me.Exam_Status & "', '" &Me.Primary_Exam_Scope_DSMT_Managed_Geography & "', '" & Me.Senior_Owner& "', '" & Me.OT_Impact & "', '" &Me.Exam_Owner_Group_Name & "', '" & Me.Exam_Owner_DSMT &"', '" & Me.Senior_Owner_Group_Name & "', '" &Me.Senior_Owner_DSMT & "', '" & Me.RET_Accumulated_Flag &"', '" & Me.RET_Accumulated_Added_Date & "');"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]DoCmd.SetWarnings False[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]DoCmd.SetWarnings True[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]MsgBox "Record has been archived"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]'Delete Record[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]    Const DELETE_CANCELLED = 2501[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]     [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]     On Error Resume Next[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]     RunCommand acCmdDeleteRecord[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]     Select Case Err.Number[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]         Case 0[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]         ' no error[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]         Case DELETE_CANCELLED[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]         ' anticipated error, soignore[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]         Case Else[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]         ' unknown error, soinform user[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]         MsgBox Err.Description,vbExclamation, "Error"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]     End Select[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]     [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]End Sub

Please note: there has been an issue when I type directly in the forum.So I have been typing these messages in word and copy/pasting into the forum.So some of my sentences/words may be missing spaces. That is not how it’s beingtyped it’s just how it’s being pasted for some reason.

Thank you

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
It looks like you are trying to move a record from one table to another table with exactly the same structure - if this is correct then you can avoid all of the mapping of fields with the example below:

Code:
Dim AppendSQL As String
Dim DelSQL As String

AppendSQL = "INSERT INTO archive_RET_Accumulated SELECT * FROM RET_Accumulated WHERE [COLOR=#ff0000]REF_NUM[/COLOR] = " & [COLOR=#ff0000]Me.REF_NUM[/COLOR]
DeleteSQL = "DELETE FROM RET_Accumulated WHERE WHERE [COLOR=#ff0000]REF_NUM[/COLOR] = " & [COLOR=#ff0000]Me.REF_NUM[/COLOR]
DoCmd.RunSQL AppendSQL
DoCmd.RunSQL DeleteSQL

MsgBox "Record Archived"
Me.Requery 'Requery the form

This requires a unique identifier for the record (I have assumed REF_NO?)
I would recommend you test this without the 'DoCmd.RunSQL DeleteSQL' line and if the record is copied add the delete in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello,

In you example, would I need to write out all of the fields or just the unique identifier field?

Thank you

Upvote 0
Hello,

I used the code and it works perfectly.
Would it be possible to use this same code to add the record to another table with different fields?

Thank you

Upvote 0