Max of date not working

DRANDON

Hello. I have a query where I am doing Totals to get the Max date. The table has dates of 1/1/2018, 4/1/2018, 7/1/2018, and 10/1/2018. Each date may or may not have a different price for any item. When I do MAX in the date Total row I get 1/1/2018 AND 10/1/2018. Not just 10/1/2018. Price is "Group by" in the Total row.

In the results any item will have a different Price for 1/1/2018 than 10/1/2018.

If I do a MIN I get 1/1/2018 AND 4/1/2018. I am lost.

I have another query altogether with a different table using MAX and Group by Price and it works fine.

Please HELP.

Thank you so much.

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
If there are other columns in the query then the max may not work as you expect. Max is calculated for each group. The group that is the entire table would give only one max. A group that is only an item also has one max (per item). But it gets harder to keep this up when you add more columns (for instance, if you then include a column ShipDate you will have one max - but now per item, per ship date. At some point you will be unable to include more columns and still get the max you want to calculate. Usually you use two queries to resolve this problem -- one of them dedicated to getting the max you need).

Post your entire query if you need further explanation (note that sometimes columns included in a GROUP BY clause impact results, even if they are not in the SELECT clause!)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back