Course Databse Add multiple Students on One Form

geospatial

I have a database that we are tracking student enrollments and graduation certificates. I am trying to update the database to where we can input all the students for a course on one form. Generally students will arrive all at once and then we in-process them so being able to input all students (20 at the max) on one form would be awesome.

Just looking for someone to point me in the right direction and I will build from there. Also using Access 2013.

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
You could create your form in datasheet view. All at once is a relative term. You probably would still have to go student by student, so time-wise not a huge difference.

Upvote 0
I basically want all the class information to be filled in and then probably in a subform to be able to enter all the students information in the class. I dont want to have to enter all the course information 20 different times.

Upvote 0
That is handled with relational tables. You have one course record that is related to many student records. You might then implement a subform/main form (but I would probably just have a foreign key in the student form - i.e., just add one more field for ClassID).

Upvote 0
I have all the tables built already and they work, I am just not up to speed on form design. I basically want my my form to show at the top the course name, start date, and end date, and then at the bottom of the form I want to be able to enter student information. The way I know how to do it would they would have to go to a new record and enter all the course name, start date, end date over each time along with a new student. I would rather have the upper portion either stay the same until you enter all your students on different records or enter all the students on one form without having to switch back and forth.

Upvote 0
Just for starters, you should be able to enter the student information with a class ID (not all the class information).

You can also build a subform/mainform setup. Assuming you have table relationships set up with the primary keys and foreign keys. A forum is not the best place to go over all that - it would require a lot of typing (by me) and that's not necessary since there are a wealth of youtube videos and web tutorials about building access forms. However, if you do want the short version, it's probably something like create the main form (class ID). Drag into or create a subform (students). Then hook up the parent-child relationships between the main form and subform in the properties (I guess the subform properties).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Correct, but that still multiple input for something, if it can be done should only have to be entered once. If it cant be done I am okay with that, but when you have a team that doesnt like technology so designing something that would involve them changing their normal processes, I want to have the least amount of steps possible. If I was still running a website with SQL it would be easy, but I no longer have that option.

Upvote 0
As I said, you can use a main form subform setup among other solutions. You can also populate the foreign key without typing if you like. All this is common stuff for Access. I recommend you you just jump in and start working it out. I don't find it onerous to enter a class ID but its not something that's required.

By common stuff, I mean the general issue is "how to enter record with a foreign key". You should be able to find examples I think if you do a little googling. You said you wanted to be pointed in the right direction and this is what I have been pointing you towards.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back